Existing Member?

Tidbits definition in my mind: "The good stuff on the plate you'd prefer scoffing down first." Here you'll see all the juicy info on travel! Quite literally, the tidbits of it all.

My Scholarship entry - A local encounter that changed my life

WORLDWIDE | Wednesday, 18 April 2012 | Views [333] | Scholarship Entry

The texture of fluffy white snow, the aroma of hot mulled wine, the crunch of roasted chestnuts and a [dangerously] open fire: It’s the epitome of a Christmas celebrated in the Northern hemisphere, and the exact opposite for us antipodeans in Oz.

At the official opening of the long-running Augsburger Christkindlmarkt, that’s ‘Christmas market’ for us non-German-speaking folk, a swarm of people huddled around the 17th century town hall hoping to catch a glimpse of the 24 local girls performing as ‘Advent angels’ high up between the historic window frames. Donned with sizeable golden wings, draping robes and wigs with angelic curls, they mimed to delicate orchestral music and waved cordially to the crowd.

As the music quietened and the clock tower struck six, the locals began to head deep into the rows of fairy-lit market stalls that lined up awkwardly like jumbled Tetris blocks on the town’s main square. There they found a generous array of customary Christmas food that ranged from feuerteufel’s to gingerbread and plätzchen to pralines.

After moving inwards to the centre of the market, the Godzilla-like Christmas tree immediately overwhelmed me. Delicately laced with cheery lights that flattered the twinkling backdrop of the Bavarian night sky, the illuminated pine brought tears to my eyes.

Only moments earlier I watched a group of volunteers flick the switch and the great tree awoke, glowing a silvery white. The entire throng of people cheered as the countdown to Christmas began and they all sipped at their creamy beverages.

The atmosphere surrounding me was warmer than a Turkish bath and as inviting as an Italian restaurant. With a few sips of crisp mulled wine, I was fit to join the friendly fiesta and understood how significant this period was for the many families present.

So the next time you want a traditional Christmas, don’t forget to greet everyone with “Frohe Weihnachten” and take a swig of gluhwein. You may end up the liveliest tourist in town.

Tags: Travel Writing Scholarship 2012

About tidbits


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Worldwide

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.