Existing Member?

HIgh in the Mountains - It's a day I shall never forget!

High in the mountains!

INDIA | Thursday, 15 May 2014 | Views [540] | Scholarship Entry

5:00 a.m. Sunday. Mumbai. Sea Level

On the 21st floor, the rain sounds tantalizingly close. The earthy scent of the monsoon soil is hardly a match for my slumber. I pop open an eye to see clothes and travel accessories scattered on the floor. ‘Damn you late night drunk plans!’ I cogitate.

All around, there is a flurry of activity. Companions getting dressed, swearing at me to get off the bed, looking for shoes, tying them. Train’s at 5:30. Weather’s getting worse. Need to RUSH!

Running in the rain, I wonder how great an idea is it to go searching for long forgotten caves on unknown mountains. Focus! Catch. The. Train.

7:00 a.m. Karjat. 1000 feet above Sea Level

We get off the train and head for the mountains in an auto rickshaw. Soon, the signs of civilization come to an end and wilderness takes over. The downpour has intensified. We scramble through the rugged jungle and cross tiny rivers bare feet. We are struggling, slipping in the steep, slippery terrain. It’s hard to see the panorama, blinded by the torrential rain. We trek through the jungle, drenched and shivering, but plodding ahead...

11 a.m. Unknown Location

We meet another group which is lost. They are now trailing us on the treacherous trail. With us climb countless crabs, salvation seekers, perhaps headed to the caves as well. We trudge ahead in single file. As we march on, creating our trail, I can hear the song of my journey, the rhythm in the rain. I am entranced. Life offers endless possibility and breathtaking beauty. Then why are we caught in humdrum routines and material possessions?

1:00 p.m. Kondana Caves

Captain Columbus spots the caves, a first century BC Buddhist architectural marvel. A massive sheet of water cascades down the roof of a cave. We stand; awed before plunging under the waterfall gasping and screaming! Refreshed, it's time for food, rest and some amazing photography.

2:00 p.m. Farther ahead

We move ahead. However, the low-hanging dark clouds are a step ahead of us. Pregnant with rain, they threaten to cow us down. Unafraid, we trek higher as the incline gets steeper. The others have stopped, but I am overtaken by a mad urge to reach the horizon, to touch what lies beyond the top of the mountain; I dart forward while my companions shout for me to come back.

I come back eventually; to a hot shower, a warm dinner, a comforting cuddle and the promise of greater adventure in the morrow.

Tags: 2014 Travel Writing Scholarship - Euro Roadtrip

About thrillseeker


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about India

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.