Existing Member?

What's the best way to cure itchy feet?

There's no ice in Iceland

ICELAND | Thursday, 17 April 2014 | Views [118] | Scholarship Entry

Upon leaving to UK to return back to the southern hemisphere, I made sure I laid the law down with my boyfriend. We were going to Iceland, I had to see the northern lights. Living in the UK for a couple of years, I had always wanted to go to Iceland, but there were always 30th's in Ibiza or something else just as exciting to go to. Going the long way to get back to Sydney, Iceland was first stop on the list, which was cheaper than a direct flight to New York.

I became an avid fan of the Meteorological Office website, checking numerous times a day to see if we were going to see the lights. It wasn't looking hopeful. As we descended in to Reykjavik, the clouds we passed through were never ending.

When we checked in to the hotel, we were advised that the tour we had booked in for that night was cancelled due to cloud, which wasn't a surprise. We rugged up and went for a walk around the down and started to check out the amazing seafood we heard so much. That certainly didn't let us down.

We awoke the next morning bright and early to depart on our Golden Circle tour, looking out for blue sky's along the way, and again, our spirits sunk. These raised slightly when we saw how beautiful and barren Iceland was.

We arrived back to the hotel, and were told again that the tour was off, so it was off for more seafood and Icelandic beer to drown our sorrows.

Our final day in Iceland had us at the Blue Lagoon, and even though we hadn't seen the lights yet, bobbing around the blue lagoon with thermal mud on your face, made it all worth being there.

Of course, the final night still didn't bring any pretty lights in the sky, but there was more seafood and even more beer before we flew out the next morning.

I'm ok with that though, it just means we will have to go back there again one day.

Tags: 2014 Travel Writing Scholarship - Euro Roadtrip

About thosedamnitchyfeet


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Iceland

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.