Existing Member?

Boston 2014

The Boston Common

USA | Sunday, 24 May 2015 | Views [69] | Scholarship Entry

Last May my husband and I took a short four day trip to Boston. We were in need of getaway, and Boston was on the list. When enjoyed many things Boston had to offer, we took in Red Sox game with friends. We toured the Prudential Building, and took in the opera, which the late Leonard Nimoy hosted that particular evening. He was a delightful man, and we thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. We did the Freedom trial, and little Italy. But on a beautiful spring Saturday mid-May we strolled down to the Boston Commons. I was instantly in love. Walking into the commons was like entering a well written book. I could have stayed there all day, and taken in the sights, the smells, the sounds. It truly was a feast for the senses. I was giddy watching the swans in the pond. The food vendors offered such aromas for passers-by that tempted every palette. That particular day there was a protest against GMO's ( which I am against), and we were so swept up in the moment, we caught ourselves want to join their noble cause. But as we walked deeper into the park, i saw something that brought tears to my eyes, a lump in my throat, a gleam in my eye ,and a sense of pride in my chest. There in the corner of the park ,on a little knoll , was the most incredible sight I had seen in quite sometime. There standing so stately and proud were 37,000 plus American flags, flying valiantly. One flag for each Bostonian who had served in the military and died in the line of duty, were placed in the ground, and speckled that lawn with the same courage that each and every one of those fallen heroes demonstrated. It truly was a life altering moment. And to this day when I speak about our trip to Boston, I recall that day with fondness. From time to time , I think of that day, the sight of those flags displayed ,on that picturesque morning. I remember the park, that lovely piece of Boston history, and how it was only enhanced by those Star Spangled Banners. The meaning behind those 37,000 + flags has held such a coveted spot in my memory and my heart.

Tags: 2015 Writing Scholarship

About thorpes96


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.