Existing Member?

A Little Adventure Single mum travelling with two young daughters, through Paris, mostly around Germany, into Scandinavia and Austria. Mostly, house-sitting, but also some hostelling and visiting friends.

Moving on

GERMANY | Tuesday, 14 August 2007 | Views [499] | Comments [7]

We arrived in Lübeck yesterday, leaving Quedlinburg behind; we all felt like it was leaving home behind.  We miss our life there already and we miss the friends that we made.  It is interesting to notice how quickly we can take root in a place; become like a piece of furniture that just belongs in a certain room.  We all feel like we have been uprooted and we are now not quite sure if we want to like it where we are now.  Nevertheless, we will go out and meet Lübeck and see what it has to show us!

The last two weeks have flown by, filled with further exploration of the northern Harz region and learning a little more about life in ´the East`.  We visited Gernrode where the worlds largest cuckoo clock is ensconced.  I might have played it up a bit too much because when Sabrina saw it she said it wasn`t THAT big.  Phoebe bluntly told her, "Sabrina!  It`s as big as a double-story house!"  It actually was a double story house.  Something has to be pretty fantastic to inspire Sabrina (who, it seems, now has only eyes for anything Parisian).

Many other things have we seen and done, all wonderful and fun.  We have decided that there is something seriously wrong with the water in Germany, as all of our clothes are getting smaller - even the ones we haven`t washed yet.  Every day there is more of us to see!!  Most important though is that Phoebe found a pair of shoes that she loved sooooo much.  She finally stated that she wanted them more than anything in the world - even more than she wanted to go home.  SOLD!!  So, we traded her last little bit of homesickness for a pair of shoes, and she is as happy as can be now.  She announced a few days ago that she could easily stay for 11 weeks because she was having so much fun.  So, that could easily become the new spirtual teaching to spread through the world - trading in all sorrows, fears and pain for new shoes.  I LIKE it!

Sorry to all the people who were leaving messages on the answering machine in Quedlinburg, but I didn`t know how to access the message bank.

TONY AND BEN - I can´t believe that you even blame bananas for your lack of fishing ability:-)

FERDE - We made a trip to Bad Harzburg on Thursday and met your aunty. Cafe Winuwuk is gorgeous.  In the afternoon we were sitting on the balcony in hot, steamy sunshine, within 5 seconds we were in a torrential downpour that lasted the rest of the day.  It was like being in the tropics.  The train line between Wernigerode and BH is under reconstruction at the moment, so it was a bit of a hike to get there, but it was well worth the effort.  Thanks for the tip.

ALEX - Have you been getting ANY of my emails or SMS??

GITESHA - You will be happy to know that most German people comment that I speak sehr gut Deutsch.  But, then they ask me if I´m from the Netherlands!!

Anyway, we are safe and well here in Krummesse, just south of Lübeck.  Gabi met us at the train station with a big bunch of sunflowers, so we would recognise here.  She and her daughter, Clara, left this morning for their cruising holiday in the fjords in Norway.  We only have two cats to care for here.  The girls miss the rabbit, but I must say, I don`t miss feeding the geckos:-)

Bis später,

Lisa, Sabrina and Phoebe.

Tags: Friends

 

Comments

1

Just to say how much I have enjoyed reading about your adventures. Keep on enjoying those moments and experiences!

  Mary Martin Aug 14, 2007 8:26 AM

2

Glad you are having fun.

  Jenny Nally Aug 14, 2007 9:51 AM

3

That's good to hear!!!
yeah, the strange german choc... ahm, water

  Ferdi Aug 14, 2007 10:59 AM

4

Hi beautiful girls
It is such fun hearing and seeing you all so frequently
With all that chocolate and now marzipan,I can see those clothes shrinking even faster !!!! Love the new spiritual teaching you are exposing to the world-- and -- I feel that, as always it is within , well certainly within all females. Enjoy the journey. Love and blessings Gaye

  Gaye Aug 14, 2007 5:08 PM

5

HiThompson Girls
Am home again in cold Bendigo and am using Carmel's computer to read this latest episode. (Back to work on Tuesday). Hope all is still going well in Lubeck. I am sure you will love it once you settle in. love to you all.

  GranMary Aug 16, 2007 4:17 PM

6

Dear Lisa and girls
Hope you are having fun. Len and I have just returned from "nomading" in western Aus. It was an interesting time although I did not enjoy the boring trip across the Nullabor. Can't understand why some people do it over and over. Enjoy Europe. I really loved it, especially trying to converse in another language!!!

  Carmel Fitzgerald Aug 16, 2007 4:20 PM

7

Great to hear your having a wow of a time. Lachie was wide eyed at seeing the giant chocolate sunday. Alls well here, cathing fish again now that Mum and her bananas have gone home!

  Tony, Sue and Lachlan. Aug 18, 2007 10:36 AM

About thompson_girls


Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Germany

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.