Existing Member?

A Little Adventure Single mum travelling with two young daughters, through Paris, mostly around Germany, into Scandinavia and Austria. Mostly, house-sitting, but also some hostelling and visiting friends.

Arriving in Germany

GERMANY | Friday, 20 July 2007 | Views [774] | Comments [2]

After Paris, it was quite a relief to fly into Berlin.  Everything is organised, clean, efficient, colourful, and it is not quite so chaotic.  The weather has improved immensely and we are now enjoying a hot European summer.

From the airport we bussed and trained (made 4 connections with all our luggage without any dramas) our way to Quedlinburg where our new host family met us.  Jutta and Stefan Wonner, and their daughters Lisa (14) and Tamara (12) have made us so welcome in their home.  The girls have all had a great time together and even though Lisa and Tamara speak some English, words don't seem necessary when you can just laugh and play.  We also have neighbours with lots of children, and it is really inspiring to see how they meet each other openly and just start to have fun even though they sometimes can't communicate with words.  We spent a week with the Wonner's before they left for a three week camping holiday in Southern France.  We are now caring for 2 cats, 1 rabbit and 2 geckos.  I have to feed the geckos 4 huge grasshoppers every night.  I have to catch them!  That's a new experience!

Quedlinburg is an unspoiled medieval town that is on the Unesco World Heritage List.  Almost all the buildings in the town centre are half-timbered and the streets are cobbled.  It's history is interesting in that it is founded upon a medieval foundation for widows and daughters of the nobility and the Reich was briefly ruled by two women from here.  The frist woman to ever attend a German speaking university did so from Quedlinburg under the protection of the King.  There is a strong repitition of women breaking through male dominated traditions.

There is a castle district on a 25m high plateau just around the corner from our house.  The first king of Germany reigned from this present day Renaissance Schloss which is built on earlier foundations.  The castle church has a valuable treasury that was stolen in the first world war by an American soldier.  It sat in a back valut for 55 years before being discovered and had to be brought back for a sum of money in the millions.

Our home is part of the old town wall and is in the process of being renovated.  It is quite beautiful and charming.  We are only minutes from the market place and are enjoying market shopping instead of supermarket shopping.  We are also enjoying walking to the bakery every morning to buy breakfast - pretzels, croissants, 'real bread' rolls.  We seem to have developed the habit of putting nuss-kati (like nutella but better) on everything.  The berries are in abundance and so cheap.  Everything is soooooo yummy!!

We have met some really lovely people.  Most people speak at least some English.  For my Deutsch Conversation Gruppe friends back home - I discovered while riding the bike I can trade insults, auf Deutsch, to passing motorists quite spontaneously.  I quite surprised myself.

We have had some days swimming (lakes very cold, but pools state of the art).  Travelled to Goslar one day and met Gitesha, Fuschia and Nina, who were visiting Gitesha's step-mother there.  They are all very well, extremelly relaxed and having a super time. 

Phoebe is coming good.  She still has some moments of home-sickness but they are becoming less frequent.  The time with Lisa and Tamara was very healing for her - lots of fun and laughing.  Sabrina is still in her element.  She is like a seasoned traveller and I suspect I have planted a travel bug in her being that will never stop itching from now on.

Love to everyone back home.

PS Happy Birthday, David Schock!! 

PPS Big birthday hugs and kisses to Jamie for her birthday party this weekend.  Hope the cake looks as it should.

Tags: Friends

 

Comments

1

Dear girls You make me envious when I read your emails. It would be wonderful to be experiencing new places once again. Keep on enjoying and, Phoebe, don't forget to take all those photos with your mind. Sabrina, it is great to hear you are enjoying Europe so much. I am dying to hear ALL about it when you get home.

  Mary Minster Jul 23, 2007 8:01 AM

2

Hi girls ---this is beyond cool --photos and all!!!!
Great decision Phoebe to stay and experience the unknown and unexpected and Sabrina with the travel bug-that bug is friendly but expensive to deal with.
Amazing that Gitesha and girls are travelling also and you got together --good cure for Phoebe 's homesick bug maybe.
Quedlinburg looks sooooo cute and I love the neighbours house, oh and yours toooo
Have the best time you all
Love and blessings Gaye

  Gaye Leighton Jul 23, 2007 3:24 PM

About thompson_girls


Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Germany

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.