Existing Member?

The Land Before Time

Muir Woods National Monument

USA | Wednesday, 27 May 2015 | Views [155] | Scholarship Entry

My trip back in time required a Zipcar rental, google maps and my most comfortable walking shoes.
The California coast has countless activities but this late September day, I am only interested in visiting one of the few places of its kind just outside San Francisco. For a nominal fee I can walk among what are said to be the tallest living things on earth.
Mill Valley, CA is home to the Muir Woods National Monument, an old-growth Coast Redwood forest.
I arrive at Muir Woods after a scenic and winding drive up Muir Woods Road. Once I walk pass the huge sign welcoming visitors, I know I’m in for something magical because a sky filled with sunshine suddenly becomes heavily shaded and cozy.
Depending on the amount of time you have to explore, there are several trails to choose from. I arrived late in the day so I opt for the 2 mile loop on the main trail.
I set off into the canopy with a bottle of water and my childhood fascination for very tall things (it all began with construction cranes).
There are plenty of other people ahead and behind me on the trail, yet it’s unusually quiet. I take a look around and anyone within my vicinity seems to be in their own little cosmos, wandering with necks craned up to the sky or setting up for the prize winning photo. There are only faint whispers of conversations and the occasional sounds of birds. The silence is welcomed of course, but something is so strange. Aha! No ringing cellphones! There is no cell reception at Muir Woods.
I exhale deeply…serenity now.
I take my time meandering along the trail through groves and over bridges. Some of the tree branches are rigidly pointing down like a soldier standing at attention and others seem to be branching out attempting to build a treetop bridge across the sky with neighboring trees. I’m so jealous of birds at this moment.
While standing on a bridge overlooking some groundcover along the creek, I swear I can hear the Jurassic Park theme. Everything seems to be oversized and lush beyond belief. It blows my mind that the United States, heck, the world was such a different place in terms of society when some of these trees first began to grow.
The day is coming to an end, but I can’t pass up the opportunity for a few photos and a quick stop in the gift shop.
As I pass the welcome sign on my way out, I can’t help but wonder what I may have missed by not looking down because I spent all my time looking up to the past.
Next time…

Tags: 2015 Writing Scholarship

About thewonderingwanderer


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.