Existing Member?

Diaries of The Wanderlust Dreamer

Mungo National Park, New South Wales

AUSTRALIA | Saturday, 9 May 2015 | Views [193] | Scholarship Entry

Imagine a place truly in the Middle of Nowhere.... A place that overflows with mystery, history and the most surreal natural beauty.... A place where scientists have discovered artefacts from over 45,000 years ago.

Welcome to Mungo National Park in the heart of the Willandra Lakes World Heritage Area in western New South Wales, Australia, and the home of Mungo Lady and Mungo Man, the world's oldest human cremations.

This magical and very spiritual place is where the Aboriginal people have walked in the footsteps of their ancestors since the Dreamtime. The history of Mungo National Park gives us an insight into how the waterways, landforms and climate have altered so very much over time. The white sand or red and/or pink clays certainly provide a stunning backdrop as you stand before the Walls of China or the massive pristine dunes pondering just how much has changed in the past 100,000 years or more. It really is quite incredible and at times, overwhelming. If you are fortunate enough to visit alone, or at least in a small group, the silence of the area is majestic. It gives you a chance to completely absorb the magic that truly exists there.

To preserve Mungo National Park - one of the most precious places in our world - Aboriginals host guided walks for tourists to prevent damage to the pristine environment and also educate visitors on just how incredible the story of Mungo National Park is. Who better to tell the stories and facts of Mungo than our native people? That in itself is a very special experience. Boardwalks provide access for tourists who choose not to pay for one of the guided tours and provide a tremendous view of the Walls of China.

To get a close view of the incredibly beautiful and unspoilt white dunes (which are slowly moving east every year), you can travel a little further east to the second camping ground in the park, set up your tent in a secluded location (winter is best as there are not as many visitors, and the climate is still usually pleasant), and take a ten kilometre hike through native grasses and vegetation. I can assure you that once you finally break through the expanse of bush and see the dunes for the first time, it is truly an experience that you will never forget. If you are lucky you may even catch emus chasing each other across the dunes as we did on our visit.

After your hike and back at your campsite, under a billion stars, you will have time to reflect on much. I can't wait to return.

Tags: 2015 Writing Scholarship

About thewanderlustdreamer2015


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.