Existing Member?

my big adventures

Next adventure starts

SRI LANKA | Sunday, 10 March 2013 | Views [266]

We woke up at 5 am.  I was ok with that because I was excited. The night before I danced in the Perra Herra... and that is when there is a band and dancers celebrating the new moon.  We had painted tattoos on our backs and piercing.  Anyway, back to the first story.  We could not find a tuk tuk so we had to take a bus to Weligama train station and that is where our adventure started.

The ticket cost £1 for a 3 hour trip to Colombo.  We did another 3 hours to Kandy.  For breakfast mum and dad had fish buns and GAbe and me had pop corn!  The trains don't have doors so you can jump on them when they're leaving.  I stuck out my head as we went up to the mountains.  On the way we saw shanti towns and other houses and a lovely temple you could walk in which had gods all around the outside painted in different colours.  

When we got to the guest house  it was very cool  because we were in the hills , the hotel was called Castle Hill.  The next day we went to the temple of the tooth relic.  The tooth relic is Lord Buddha's tooth inside a lovely gold house and the pictures you see on here are inside the temple of the tooth relic.  The elephant head represents Ganesh the elephant God (son of Shiva and Parvati) and on the walls there was an amazing story in paintings and it showed the life and death of Buddha.  Inside the museum at the temple was an Elephant that had been working for 50 years the Sri Lankans love their elephants, so they stuffed him when he died, this is called taxidermi. The next day we went to the Botanical Gardens.  They are huge and there were lots of lovely trees and monkeys, pesky monkeys.  WE had a picnic in the gardens and ice cream.  It was very nice because I was with my family.  We played hide and seek in the great big trees, it was great fun and at the botanical gardens, mum stood under her tree laughing instead of crying.  It was a good day.  

Then we went back to the hotel to pack to go to Habarana the hotel was called 'The other corner'.  This was going to be another 3 hours... but this time on a crazy bus.  We had to sit at the back and I did not like that because Sri Lankan roads are very very bumpy.   The driver was in a race with another bus.  people were shouting out  'we are going to beat you' in Singhalese.  (Buses are private in Sri Lankan so it is a race to who can get to the next stop first to get the most people on the bus!) Next stop the jungle.....

Add your comments

(If you have a travel question, get your Answers here)

In order to avoid spam on these blogs, please enter the code you see in the image. Comments identified as spam will be deleted.

About theus

me on arrival at atlantis water park

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



Travel Answers about Sri Lanka

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.