Existing Member?

Unforgettable

My Scholarship entry - A local encounter that changed my life

WORLDWIDE | Monday, 23 April 2012 | Views [137] | Scholarship Entry

China is a big place, therefore a very useful form of transportation is the bicycle especially if you want to have a faster way to visit your local artificial beach! However, it turns out that the old saying is not true. I take my new foldable bike to a quiet corner of an apartment complex and there set to attempting to relearn the unforgettable. I push away from the ground attempting to catch the second peddle, and fail, falling with the momentum of the bike to one side. I sigh and reattempt it, this pattern continues for forty-five minutes. Frustration and despair are starting to eat away at my determination. It is at this point that an elderly gentleman leaves his building and sets to washing his car. I continue my attempts aware of his presence but still focusing on the task at hand, I do not notice him come over at first. He gestures to the back of the bike, he wants to hold it straight for me. I am touched by his kindness although I refuse his help. Distracted by the interaction I start to think about this place, this city and it’s people, how they are in turn the most generous and most selfish people I have ever met. It reminds me of something that I read in the Lama temple, that one must always be striving to unite all the parts of the self. I surreptitiously glance at the man again, he carries on peacefully but I know he watches. Then somehow it all clicks into place. I push away and the bike does not fall, in my surprise I topple the bike. He has finished with the car and begins to walk down the lane in the same direction as me. And then somehow it happens again and I’m away. As I go past there is a proud smile on his face, my answering grin is filled with gratitude and exultation.I finally feel like I truly appreciate this country and that I have learnt something about balance, an invaluable lesson that I have no doubt will change the way that I see the world.

Tags: travel writing scholarship 2012

About thetroublewithchina


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Worldwide

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.