Existing Member?

Circumnaviage with TheTravelFriend

Why Not!

LAOS | Wednesday, 14 May 2014 | Views [301] | Scholarship Entry

I recently spent 4 months in Laos, SE Asia. I get asked 2 questions,

1.Where? Laos is a fairly unknown, Small, Landlocked country between Thailand, Burma, Vietnam and Cambodia.
2.Why? This is used by people who have asked 1 or know a little about Asia.

I can understand why people ask 2, if you Google Laos, Health and Travel safety tips blare at you (as with most of Asia). Before I went, I would give a list of several reasons but having experienced it for myself, the answer will always be ‘why not!’ used in answer to a question about a happening in Laos frequently.

Laos is a dangerous country without a guide and I was lucky to have people to help me. I went to teach English but used the rest of my time to see what Laos had to offer. There are Markets, Temples and nature which is dominated by one thing, Waterfalls. Laos is filled with natural beauty which hasn’t been destroyed by Humans and the tourist trade. The waterfalls with tourist elements are lovely but what I really loved was the out of sight, hidden from plain sight ones.

I went with a group of friends to the waterfalls along Paksong road from Pakse. About 1 and ½ hours out of Pakse, we drove down the road but ignored the first more obvious and headed for the last one,Tad soung. We stopped and took the path to the top of the waterfall. The view was spectacular,the sheer drop,river winding into the distance surrounded unspoilt green forest. It was then that my Friend and guide asked if we wanted to see the waterfall base following a path he knew.This was a moment you asked yourself ‘why’ and said out loud ‘why not!’

We drove to a village close by and made our way there with a local girl from the village.The path turned into Rocks and boulders! The view from the rocks was brilliant as you got everything in your picture but experiencing everything meant adventurous climbing of rocks. It was well worth the climbing and jumping for the view and thrill as you helped each other get to the shore. You encountered Boulders and mini waterfalls to climb up and over and small leaps of bravery every so often. The destination showed your achievement and prize, seeing the waterfall in all its glory. The best thing now was to stand close to the waterfall and get soaked through of jump in to the pool of water because, you guessed it, why not!

‘Why not’ may be the answer to many questions you ask when you get stuck in on a trip to Laos so get out of your comfort zone and experience that ‘why not!’ feeling.

Tags: 2014 Travel Writing Scholarship - Euro Roadtrip

About thetravelfriend


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Laos

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.