Existing Member?

Lost, stranded, with no journey home. Help me Obi-Wan, you're my only hope.

Mdina

MALTA | Friday, 15 May 2015 | Views [225] | Scholarship Entry

I had never been lost before. Well, not since days as a wandering child in the wrong isle of a supermarket. We've all been there.

But I have never quite been lost in a place like this before. Stranded in Malta's former capital and fortified city, Mdina, was as good as it gets.

Instead of isles of food, around the corner of every walkway was the best type of nothing you could possibly imagine. Wall after wall of sheer white stone lined a labyrinth of peculiar walkways.

If you're a fan of movies, your mind could have wandered.

Indiana Jones felling a sword-armed assassin with the single shot of a bullet? It could very have been filmed here. Obi-Wan-Kenobi tricking a set of Stormtroopers into believing these aren't the droids they're looking for? Here as well. Game of Thrones, incidentally, was set here.

But while not Cairo nor Mos Eisley, this lost city on the sparsely populated island of Malta was just as cinematic. Mdina's quaint charm and allure meant every stone brick looked both new and cruddy at the same time - the latter as expected for a city which dates to 4000 BC.

A travel guide of Mdina would be small to say the least. A snazzy jazz bar, dotted with hand-crafted gift stores; its main attraction is the stunning 17th-century architecture of St Paul's Cathedral, whose bell sounds on the hour to echo down the cavities of each street.

It's odd to hear noise in Mdina. "Quiet please" signs don the corner of walls, reminding visitors that this city - which bans all vehicles - sits in silence.

An equally impressive site is the view from its medieval city walls that scan the horizon like the eye of an eagle.

I felt sure I could see my hotel from here. Quite how I would return is another thing.

I had arrived here on Malta's bus service, which is something rather special. For the price of one euro, you can cross its tiny 122 square mile landmass all day. And with their own merchandise of t-shirts and mugs, they are a surprisingly popular tourist attraction in their own right.

But they are spectacularly unreliable. My bus had broken down twice on the journey here and, after finding my way through the city's maze of walls to the bus station, I was told there would be no return journey.

It was late, granted. I had become engrossed in Mdina's culture and lost track of time. I was now also lost - and stranded - myself.

"This bus service will run tonight."

Oh how I could have done with jedi mindtricks. Help me Obi-Wan, you're my only hope.

Tags: 2015 Writing Scholarship

About thethomas


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Malta

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.