Existing Member?

Chronicles of when a thin, tall and lanky dude decides to fulfill his travel enthusiastic heart

Arrey! Its just the 11th day man!

INDIA | Wednesday, 7 May 2014 | Views [96] | Scholarship Entry

So normally when a kid learns to drive, he/she takes time to gain some experience before heading out on a road trip. But then again thats normally. Me, being the spontaneous idiot that I have countless times proved I am, decided it would be a brilliant idea to get influenced by my friends to go on a road trip in a car obtained from insurance reclaim. Now I didn't have much time to learn driving since I was learning it in a city where I had come for my engineering holidays. Thus in 10 days I took driving classes and headed back to resume my semester. Now again, normally, a student will not head out to a road trip mid semester bunking pretty much all the important lectures and internal assessment tests that an engineering college could throw at the said student. However, due to my brilliant heart that never listened to my oh so logical brain, I decided on my 11th day of driving a car, to officially head out on a road trip with 3 other dudes who, coincidently and conveniently, didn't know how to drive. And so, on my 11th day of driving, I drove 698kms to Goa. Obviously, as soon as we reached our shack, I collapsed onto the bed and was probably knocked out for about 8hrs straight due to exhaustion (yes, i drove continuously). Finally, revived after countless beers over a period of 3 days, we decided to head back and yet again, I drove 698kms back continuously. While we had our faithful gmaps with up, we decided to take a hilly road back. Only, it wasn't a road. The road we chose to take back had no tar at all, in fact it had nothing except tall tree forests, hills all around and a road made of the small rocks one can find besides a railway track. Yes, our tyre got stuck in those rocks countless times. Yes, we got calls from our parents on a dark, lonely road where we had to switch off the car and sit in front of the headlight so that they wouldn't know we're not in our hostel. But all these experiences, coupled with the fact that my car never broke down, had a puncture or stopped randomly, made me the traveler I am today. Oh and just an after note, we got pretty bummed when the border cops randomly too a few hundred bucks off of us and all our friends got pissed at us for not inviting them. But all in all, this is what make me, the tall, thin, lanky travel Leo.

Tags: 2014 Travel Writing Scholarship - Euro Roadtrip

About thethinnessoftravels


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about India

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.