Existing Member?

Being Away From Home for the First Time

The First Time I was away from home

UNITED KINGDOM | Tuesday, 13 May 2014 | Views [118] | Scholarship Entry

My journey started at the Columbus International Airport, where I would be leaving the United States for the first time and depart on my 12 day adventure across Europe. My first destination was the place I have always dreamed of going to, London.
When we first landed, our bus was late, so we stood outside waiting talking to one of the airport workers, listening to unusual things that happened at an airport. When our bus got there we took our stuff to the hotel and then started traveling around London. It was the first time I had ever ridden a subway or as they say in London the tube, so it was a neat way to start out the adventure.
One of the first things we got to do was go on a Jack the Ripper tour. We got to travel to most of the murder sites, and learn more about Jack the Ripper and how he was never caught. We learned that if the two different police branches would have worked together, they might have had a better chance of catching him.
After that my group and I decided to do some of our own site seeing while waiting for the rest of our bigger tour group.
The next day we went on a site seeing tour all over London. This included watching the changing of the guard, and seeing the Queens castle. We also got to spend some time in the Westfield Shopping Center. This was unfortunately our final day in London. The next morning we were departing for Paris.
We had to get up bright and early to be ready for our train. I never knew there were trains that could go underwater until we took the underground tunnel to Paris. Once we arrived in Paris we started our tour. We got to go to the Eiffel Tower, and got to see Paris from the very top. I was nervous going up due to being afraid of heights but I loved the view. The next day my group and I got to go see Notre Dame and went down to the catacombs. It was interesting to see how ancient France buried their dead. We then later on that night to a night tower of Paris and got to watch the Eiffel Tower do its light show. The next day before leaving France, we got to go to the Luovre. That afternoon we took a night train to Florence, Italy.
Once we arrived in Florence we went to a famous leather shop and got to watch them making some real Italian leather. They showed us how to tell it was real leather. Afterwards we got to go see the leaning tower of Pisa. The next day we went to Rome.
Once in Rome we got to see the Roman Colosseum, and Trevi Fountain. The next day was the day I traveled home.

Tags: 2014 Travel Writing Scholarship - Euro Roadtrip

About therice


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.