Existing Member?

Living epicureanism.

Catching a Moment - Hong Kong lives forever in my head

HONG KONG | Tuesday, 9 April 2013 | Views [688] | Scholarship Entry

I am a buyer and during three years my job was traveling to one of the most amazing places ever, Hong Kong.
The minute you arrive to HK’s airport, you realize everything seems perfect and technological.
My agent in HK was “Happy Narry”. We became so close I saw him as an older brother. I was 24 and he was 42, I was Venezuelan and he was Hongkonese, but when we were together, age or nationality, were never a problem.
We did have awkward episodes, as regular co-workers do, but as brothers and sisters do, we would forget about it right after the day was over.
I became a workaholic, I did transform my job into my passion, when most of my colleagues thought it was deadly painful.
Somehow, my boss started to see me as a brave girl, just because I was travelling all alone from Caracas to Hong Kong every two months. I started to feel like such a cheater, because indeed, working was not suffering at all, It was fun.
Whenever I was taking a flight to HK, I would give“ Happy Narry” a call, and let him know I would be there in exactly 21 hours. He would always wait in the arrivals area with a bag of red grapes, and I have to remark, fruits on the island are the best from the five continents, just as the rest of the food.
Narry would pick me up in his convertible BMW from 1999, and every single time we took a ride, it would always begin with his favorite song: Leo Sayer’s “More than I can say”. HK is definately a futuristic place but Narry reminds me the good old classic times, somehow you can perceive nostalgia in the air.
Ocasionally, my boss would join me, since he’s a bit spoiled we would usually stay at the Four Seasons Hotel, which happens to be one of the most incredibly outstanding places I’ve seen, I’m missing it’s bed right now. My boss used to repeat: Since this island carries some of the most important people in the world, they would import the best food from every corner of the planet. You could eat the best croissant in Hong Kong, even better than eating it in Paris.
On the other hand, when It was only Narry and I, the unexpected could happen. Even when you believe HK is all sistematically perfect, they keep their biggest secret behind the walls of Stanley Market, some rocking tasty noodles famous for locals, then I understood.
Every city has it’s own soul, sometimes I can even see them as if they were real people. If HK would take a human shape, It would be a well mannered school girl… with a hidden naughty side one should always give it a try.

Tags: Travel Writing Scholarship 2013

About therealepicurean


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Hong Kong

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.