Existing Member?

The life- changing encounter in Turkey that was more outstanding than its beauty .

The memorable encounter with the old Turkish man

TURKEY | Wednesday, 27 May 2015 | Views [239] | Scholarship Entry

A few months before I go to college, my dad took me and my other family members to Turkey as he had promised us .The magnificence views of Istanbul after an intense online research, prompted us to confidently choose there to go. However, the stunning atmosphere and all of those beautiful mosques and museums in Turkey seemed less exciting than an alternative one : experiencing a life changing moment there .We spent the first 6 days of our trip visiting Istanbul’s wonderful places and getting familiarized with their culture.
This trip taught me that Turkey is a country of great and complex archaeological history. On our fourth day ,we went to a museum and one of the gallery assistants told us that if you dig into the earth anywhere in Turkey , you will find remains of previous cultures .Moreover , what I found out about Turkish people was that they were mostly educated ,gracious ,open –minded , and living with a low level income.
On our seventh day there, one of my father’s friends hosted an afternoon of celebration for his recently graduated son and they invited us .It was a beautiful ,sunny afternoon and the celebration added more beauty to it .I was introduced to his sister and we sat there and talked about poetry and books . She suggested we should go to the Istanbul Celik Gulersoy Library ;probably one of the oldest libraries in Istanbul.
After one hour driving, we reached the library. While I was wandering around the library ,I instantly fell in love with some coherent and lovely vibes coming out from an old man reading a book in an interesting way. When I say “interesting “ , he was reading the book while retelling some sentences with an enthusiastic look . Looking at him with wonder, he noticed that. My Turkish language isn’t that good , but thankfully he could speak in English ,so I was able to communicate effectively . We talked for an hour and during this hour , we talked about the benefit of reading books ,psychology and poetry and he gave me a book as a present . Speaking of books ;they became my favorite friend since then. I can confidently say that this unique encounter was a turning point in my life as it widened my perspective to a great extent.
Now five years after this memorable experience, the beneficial traces of it is still flowing in my blood and inspires me to read.
Do I miss that moment ? Yes , I definitely miss that moment and meanwhile hope for other precious moments like that to happen in my future travelling opportunities.

Tags: 2015 Writing Scholarship

About thepure_idealisticdreamer


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Turkey

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.