Existing Member?

Living The Dream

A Golden Experience

AUSTRIA | Saturday, 16 May 2015 | Views [133] | Scholarship Entry

The summer of 2008 was one for the history books man. Along with 11 other players from around the country, I was hand selected to compete in the Junior Olympics held in Vienna, Austria, a 16 & under men’s basketball tournament, which takes place over the span of 14 days. I had the time of my life. Not only did we win the gold medal and go undefeated winning our games by an average margin of 22 points per game, I was also able to experience Europe for the first time. Already a frequent traveler by the age of 15, thanks to sports I was fortunate enough to visit other countries like Sweden, the Bahamas, the Dominican Republic, Puerto Rico, Jamaica, and Canada – but never the eastern hemisphere. This trip was special though, it was the first time I was out of the country without any parental supervision. Instead, I traveled with a group of adults that consisted of my head coach, our team trainer, and a den mother who handled all of our personal needs from food, accommodations, and transportation. For two weeks that summer I lived like a first round NBA draft pick, and the experiences I had were truly unforgettable.

On non-game days each morning would consist of an early breakfast, practice, and a workout session. After practice, we would round up on the team bus and explore the city, and all that Vienna had to offer. In between visiting the local markets and flirting with the beautiful women, we also toured The Ring, the Hofburg Palace, Opera House, and even visited the Danube Channel. Undoubtedly however, the most memorable experience was our trip to the Mauthausen Concentration Camp. I remember feeling chills run through my body as our tour guide walked with us around the premises explaining the history of the camp. He showed us up close in personal the horrific sleeping quarters that once housed hundreds of suffering victims, and even the gas rooms & incinerators that were used to murder millions.

Like I said, a truly unforgettable experience. At 16 years old, that trip shaped my way of thinking to never settle for anything less than the absolute best; however, it might have ruined me in the same aspect now that I think about it. Staying at anything less than a 4-star hotel with full accommodations on business trips now is almost a slap in the face. At the end of the day though, I owe it all to my mom. She was the one to always push me into the world without fear of me being eaten alive, as she was confident in the man she raised.

Tags: 2015 Writing Scholarship

About theprivateplane


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Austria

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.