Existing Member?

Travel writing is an experience that is worth dying for

Menengai Crater: A Plethora Of Beauty And Wonder

KENYA | Monday, 5 May 2014 | Views [278] | Scholarship Entry

Some sights are so captivating to the eyes,really catching.One of these sights is Menengai crater found in Nakuru Kenya.I’ll never forget that fateful day that I got a chance of going to the crater.The day was on a weekend and one of my friend was celebrating her birthday.Its exact point is in the Great Rift Valley of Kenya.The crater is not a matter that one would just give a wayward thought even though there is no public transport to the crater.It takes an hour from Nakuru town to reach the destination.
We took a van from Nakuru at around 11 am.We looked so colorful with animation all over faces obviously from the trip we were to cover.We had to let our worries at a safe distance and embrace what the crater had for us.
From the main road, we covered 8km but before then, we had to pass through the main gate, where we met friendly Kenya Forest Service officers who doubled up to be the managers of the great Crater.We paid a small fee and everyone smiled like cherubs because we knew (or so we thought) of what lay before us.Fortunately we had a friend of us who claimed to have visited the place before. He was on fire with his story telling skills,shock was written all over our faces but still we had not reached our destination.Our “guide” told us that the Menengai crater is an extinct dormant volcano and it is second largest volcano in the world which happens to be true.As we were ascending,the view of Rift Valley lakes was visible.I was gazing rapturously at the candid view of Lake Nakuru with the pinkness of flamingos around the lake.Lake Elementaita with its full majesty beckoned us to ride its waves but unfortunately the crater hosted us. Lake Naivasha and Bogoria were not so visible but we could see the whiteness on them.I can’t forget the drop-dead good look of Mount Longonot whose crater was trying to snatch away our spot of spotlight.The 2490m high we were, just took our breathes away.There was a sign post at the highest point erected by the Rotary Club of Nakuru that showed distances and general directions of several places worldwide.The crater itself is 12km across and 500 deep.That was truly an awesome glimpse.
With vivid clarity we were able to see that the crater was surrounded by nature reserves and farmlands that gave out the loveliest shades of green.The crater was somehow favoring us with a smile showcasing the excellent hiking opportunities, viewpoints, amazing nature trails, bird watching, filming and camping sites just to mention a few.

Tags: 2014 Travel Writing Scholarship - Euro Roadtrip

About theplethoraofwonder


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Kenya

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.