Existing Member?

Green Park in Great Bandung

Tahura Ir. H. Djuanda Bandung Completes Me

INDONESIA | Sunday, 24 May 2015 | Views [223] | Scholarship Entry

It is not a perfect natural tourism, but it is the most awesome forest park in the City of Bandung, West Java, Indonesia. It is Taman Hutan Raya Ir. H. Djuanda or Tahura Ir. H. Djuanda. This huge green city heart is located in the north side of Bandung, precisely in Dago Pakar. This tourism site is not very far from downtown, approximately it takes 30-45 minutes to get there. There are several gates to enter the forest, the locals usually know the ‘secret doors’ to enter the forest, while the common visitors only enter it from the main gate where they should pay IDR 8.000 to get the ticket. What a cheap cost to enjoy a bewitching circumstances! How can it complete me?
Well, in this place your eyes are going to touch the splendor of five 'curugs' ('curug' is a Sundanese word to say a waterfall). They are Curug Koleang, Curug Kidang, Curug Lalay, Curug Omas and Curug Dago.
The best 'curug' among them, is Curug Omas which is located near Maribaya, the farthest site of Tahura. Its height is about 30 meters with a wiry fence surrounding it. It is about 5 km from the main gate and takes two or three-hour walking. There is a romantic bridge above its pouring water whose floor made of wood and only four or five persons are permitted to cross it at the same time. Your belly rebels? Don’t worry! There are several small food stalls offering some traditional meals and beverages, like jagung bakar (roasted corn) batagor and bandrek. The food is not expensive, it ranges from IDR 3.000-15.000. However, be careful! There are a lot of monkeys around that place. You don’t want to fight with those little creatures because of meals, right? But I also feel relieved that those monkey still can live freely in their habitat.
Talking about Indonesian history, the other advantage that the visitors could get, is recognizing the sign of the Colonial and Japanese Government period in Bandung from the two popular caves in Tahura. They are Goa Belanda and Goa Jepang whose location is not very far from the main gate. Entering the mouth of the cave, the cold air touched my face since both caves are made inside a big mountainside. The more attractive cave is Goa Belanda because there are two big holes at the each edge of the caves, a railway track, and about 20 opened-rooms. It is told that these caves were made to save the equipment of the armies and to hide from the enemy when there was a lot of war at that time. This means that the colonialism was spread and expressed across nation.

Tags: 2015 Writing Scholarship

About theothersnapshots


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Indonesia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.