Existing Member?

The World As I See It

Being Alive

VIETNAM | Tuesday, 13 May 2014 | Views [239] | Scholarship Entry

"What!? No light!"

"Yeah, they cuthe power the whole city today" receptionist reply

It's 6 a.m. in the morning - the whole city was black out until further notice - What would you do?

"It's such a perfect day to arrive in Sapa; a mountain village in the north of Veitnam " I said to my friend sacaticly. Then, we stopped whining and stared walking. It was a little more than 15 minutes, I realized that life do go on without electricity and this city can survive simply because it doesn't rely on technology that much. Unlike the place I came for: Bangkok - I can only imagine the worst .

Here, Morning Market continued it vivid trading, restaurant still serving calmly and people eager to move forward. We arrived at Sapa Lake where all types of people gatherd as a energrtic group, a lovely coup or a lone wolf - enjoyed the peaceful sceneary. The shimmering lake surface reflected the sun, Colorful flower garden shined their brightness challengned the streaming day light and Big greenish trees kindly gave their helpful shade. The lake was beautiful, The weather was balmy ansd the asmosphere was charming. We just sat on a bench under a tree and spent our productive chill time read book, drank the famous Veitnam black coffee and observed people (no electricity = no wifi, thus, no swepting you finger up and down your beloved smart phone.)

Soon enough we realized 'What it mean to be alive'.

You got the air in your lung, food to eat, water to drink and the will to live your life.

Be alive doesn't include any fancy lamp as long as we have the sun adn some candle light which could turn your basic dinner in a common restaurant into a allure of romantic meal. It also doesn't include our 33 organ: smart-phone to check in on Foursquare, post picture on Instagram of update your mood on facebook status. Let the picture you took be your check in, your curious eyes capture the moment and post it on your instabrain and your Facial expression show your heartfelt status.
It in a moent like this that you can appreciated what you usually over look in daily life. Sunshine that light up your day, your strong legs that carried you along the way and the simple truth - come what may - life go on.

Cheer to all that and much more experience your going to discover if you keep on traveling.

Do it if you dare!

We surely love social media but try "digital diet" for a day or two and see what happen.

Tags: 2014 Travel Writing Scholarship - Euro Roadtrip

About theothersideoftheworld


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Vietnam

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.