Existing Member?

Life as I travel

Me, myself and Helsinki

FINLAND | Thursday, 15 May 2014 | Views [66] | Scholarship Entry

I was traveling from Saint Petersburg to Stockholm by bus. The bus was making a stop in Helsinki. It was going to be a quick stop: only 5 hours to know the city. From the first step I took out of the bus I knew 5 hours wasn't enough time to meet the city, I was amazed by the architecture and design that surrounded me.

I ask for a hotel downtown and was sent to jail!!! But not literally... My hotel used to be a jail but now is adapted to receive travelers with comfort without losing its original scenario. After checking in, I got a boat ticket to get to Stockholm; my boat departed next morning.

So, I was alone in a foreign city and somehow Helsinki made me feel cozy and part of it. I had never been there but everything felt familiar, so I took my camera and start walking with no direction. I visited all the downtown with its modern buildings and exquisite design and full of colors . I took my time in a bay watching the birds fly. I had dinner in a small restaurant talking with the locals about their life. The sun was always shining. It was the midnight but the sunlight was bright enough, i was so impressed by this because is something I had never seen before.

Probably anyone who reads this won't be able to know anything about the sightseeing places of Helsinki from my post but I think the city made an impact in me beyond its touristic sites and that
Is what I tried to capture here

Tags: 2014 Travel Writing Scholarship - Euro Roadtrip

About thelifeofajourney


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Finland

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.