Existing Member?

A New Pakeha In Town

A month in NZ

NEW ZEALAND | Sunday, 25 November 2012 | Views [219]

It is a month into my stay here.

The start of the week kicked off with a meeting with the Red Cross Emergency Disaster Management team, which, as some of you saw, was a successful meeting and am part of the team now (see 'Boiler suit' story). Then on Thurs I met with some people for the vulnerability study at NZRC. It is going to be interesting getting involved in the survey because it will involve sociological research techniques so that will be a good experience :-S

Friday I aimed to just check out how to run up to Mt Kaukau near the house and ended up carrying on for the rest of the afternoon. It was about 1hr walk from the house to the top. From the top on one side was Wellington Harbour and the other was green rolling farmland down to the coast with the South Island mountains and coastline in the background. The Welly wind was nice and strong on the ridge which was fun and only saw 3 cyclists the whole afternoon. I decided to bail out of the skyline walk at Karori and down through the Botanical gardens and a bus home.

Yesterday I went to observe some interpreters in a first aid session for a Deaf group delivered by a Johnny.  So though I don’t want to criticise without fully checking the first aid protocols here there were a few moments of biting my lip and sitting on my hands and I was glad that I stayed as an observer and not said about volunteering with BRC otherwise it would have been more awkward. After a week of going ahh over deciding over career choices, being a first aid trainer is really appealing.

Then after the training I was invited to go to the Deaf club rugby team auction fundraiser. My volunteer habit kicked in and I ended up interpreting the evening! Apart from the odd ‘£’ slip and a few checks it all went pretty well and was good fun. I also ended up with a camping stove and a tool set because I felt bad that no one was bidding at the start.

 

 

Travel Answers about New Zealand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.