Existing Member?

My Joburg Backyard

Your Backyard - The Juice

SOUTH AFRICA | Wednesday, 6 November 2013 | Views [1465] | Comments [5] | Scholarship Entry

The subject is inspired by how misinformed people are about our country. We as South Africans often laugh about how other nationals don't believe we have white people who native to our country or the notion that we are surrounded by wildlife. When in truth Africans come in many ethnicities and only a small portion of the population can afford to go on safari and interact with wildlife. These misconceptions amongst others aren't really the faults of our international brothers and sisters. It is the fault of their respective medias and how they've chosen to portray Africa. So this is an opportunity for us to tell our story as South Africans. Perhaps if you see a day of a young 25 year old South African Bachelor you'll understand us and our journey better. The experience has been a rollercoaster as we were only aware of the competition on Friday the 1st November but the pressure has been fun yet a bit stressful to meet deadline. We have great ambitions of furthering our understanding of film in this context and this journal style. We've shot music videos and other but to win this would allow us to grow and learn in ways we might not have or be able to afford here at home.

Tags: travel film scholarships 2013

Comments

1

Hi there,

It looks like there is an error in your video. Please check into it - otherwise we can't watch it.

Alicia

  scholarships Nov 8, 2013 3:07 PM

2

Hey Alicia, sorry not sure what's wrong with it. Please try this link 

http://youtu.be/0qH8LCo_4jA

  THABO Rametsi Nov 8, 2013 4:43 PM

3

Thabo - It now works fine. - Alicia

  scholarships Nov 8, 2013 4:49 PM

4

Thanks for putting women & meat on the same scale!
the sexism in this vid is gross.

  jadis Dec 12, 2013 6:05 PM

5

Hey Jadis. How are you? I'm sorry you find the video offensive. Just to be clear there was no comparison made between women and meat(never actually used the word). The comment was simply to say that the city is renowned for its delicious food and the beauty of our women amongst other attractions. The link which I believe you are referring to was merely an intro to an interview with the young lady in question. You see we had to cut the interview due to time restrictions. If you had seen the entire interview you would've seen that as I walked towards her the young lady says to me "Hey Boo, try this" and then she feeds me a gourmet sandwich. Which is where the food reference comes from. As you were not aware of the context I will take responsibility for that from an editing front and apologise for it coming across as sexist. My reference was merely to honour the beauty of our women if that alone is deemed sexist and is where your anger is directed I will not apologise for that. Our women are unapologetically beautiful as they are intelligent and spirited. However to truly portray their vast qualities I'd require more than a 3min tourism video where im limited to images where beauty will always be easier to convey. Also bare in mind that the young lady at the end also refers to the "hot guys" which speaks to how we consider our people attractive in the city.lol. Forgive our vanity. Finally, I'm far from sexist. I was raised by mother and aunts in a house full of only women. I appreciate women more than you know. Perhaps the fact that English is not my first language means I can't truly convey that in this 3min tourism video. I hope you can watch the video for its intended purpose and not the negative aspects which perhaps you were searching for. Have yourself a lovely day. Once again my apologies for the misunderstanding.

  Thabo Rametsi Dec 13, 2013 5:11 PM

About thejuice


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about South Africa

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.