Existing Member?

Up in the air in Fourvière.

Fourvière, Lyon

FRANCE | Sunday, 24 May 2015 | Views [155] | Scholarship Entry

During my 3 day break to Lyon, France I desperately wanted to find something special to add a streak of class and culture to my unabashed shopping trip. I scoured tourist leaflets and maps and eventually plucked up my courage to ask the staff at reception in French to which they were more than enthusiastic over 'Fourvière' in Vieux Lyon (Old Lyon, for the non-Francophones).

So armed with a map and pre-prepared French phrases I made my way to the metro to get to the Old Town. I got off the train about 2 stops early so I could walk over the main bridge linking to the old side of town and lap up the French culture. So I crossed 'Pont Bonaparte' which offered stunning views on either side of the river Saone and soaked up the fresh (but very brisk) air of Lyon. I had my French-artsy film moment. All I lacked was an over priced croissant and a strong, bitter espresso that I could pretend to enjoy.
I ambled up to the cobbled streets of Fourvière and was immediately taken aback by the charm of the quarter, filled with artisan cafes and patisseries the air was thick with nostalgia for old Lyon and still had an endearing welcoming charm. Maybe because it was that bit further out of the main hot spot areas it attracted fewer of the shopping tourists. There were no big name brands here, the quaint independent shops lined the curly roads and the signature French plaque road signs led me to the funicular station to get to the basilica. Of course, I could have walked up the hill to the top, but who am I to deny reliving my childhood memories of going up what I always believed to be a 'sideways train'? And if my memory serves me right, I was always brought an ice cream float at the other end. And I was getting thirsty.
So my child like excitement only grew when I saw the traditional layout and colours of the carriage and I didn't even wince when my knees kept bumping into the metal pole as the old thing chuffed and heaved it's way to the top.

The basilica itself is outstanding. A gleaming white carved stone building that if you'd have asked the same child who was excited over the funicular would describe as a 'Princess house' with engraved lions, horticulture and complex patterns. The heavy wooden doors only invited you in, despite making you feel very small. I am very fortunate in the respect that I have traveled quite a bit, so please understand I do not say this lightly, that inside I nearly cried from seeing such beauty. Mosaic filled the walls. Then I did cry.

Tags: 2015 Writing Scholarship

About theinternationalwhisperer


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about France

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.