Existing Member?

The Hiding Spot

8300 feet higher

COLOMBIA | Thursday, 21 May 2015 | Views [140] | Scholarship Entry

"Watch out with the guerrillas and cocaine!".10 hours after that mother's advice, I arrived to Aeropuerto El Dorado in Bogotá and starred at the sky: "Where is the sun?"
While looking the way out,I found this great line with yellow tiny taxis and some aware signs about "how not to be fooled by the taxi drivers": this chatty men, who are also faithful radio listeners, can be good guides and also smart enough to surround the entire city before getting to your destination. (You might do not mind the first time, but the forth you will get tired of paying too much for just getting stucked in the worst traffic jams you will ever see). After passing through the 26th Street, and see what a graffitti friendly city Bogotá is, the first stop is La Candelaria quarter where the coloring, tiny and uphill streets will drive you up to "El Chorro de Quevedo" so you might find a 30-year-old story teller. Once seen the city from the inside, you can walk up to Monserrate Monastery and view, from the mountain that dominates Bogotá, the vastness of the capital of Colombia (its population is over 9 million people).

Do not forget your umbrella!

Far from what Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie showed us in"Mr. and Mrs. Smith", Bogotá is not part of a mexican desert and it is not hot at all, not even warm. Bogotá can have the four seasons in one day, (sorry Londoners, this is really more extreme). That is why, the umbrella is your best friend. Really, it does not matter how sunny it looks when you leave the hotel: it is always rainy in Bogotá.
Also, the sun rises and sets very soon: at 6am it is already clear and at 6pm businesses close (peak times are worst timing to pick a cab or get in Transmilenio -public transportation conformed by red great buses with exclusive lanes-). You can rent a bike (and get wet).

At night, the T Zone for drinking (Tomar) or the G Zone for eating (Gourmet), are two good plans to understand the Bogotá's parties. Although the must-see restaurant is located in Chía, a town located 6 miles north. Its name is "Andrés Carne de Res"(Andrés, Beast Meat) where you can drink "guaro" and learn to dance bachata, vallenato, cumbia or salsa with actors and musicians performing live shows among the guests all night long...

One week later, the smell of fruit juices in every corner of the 7th Street, the taste of the best coffee in the world and the wiliness of the sellers at the market of this city 8300 feet above sea level, will charm you before you realize it.

Tags: 2015 Writing Scholarship

About thehidingspot


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Colombia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.