Existing Member?

An awesome trip to the big hole in the ground.

The Grand Canyon

USA | Wednesday, 27 May 2015 | Views [82] | Scholarship Entry

The word awesome is a term that is banded around with far too much ease in this modern world. In a world of instant gratification: likes, retweets and favourites these notifications that flash up on your smart phone may be what some consider being awesome.

I used to be one of those people who would regularly, whilst talking with my friends, describe a goal from the weekend or the ending to the most recent episode of my favourite TV show as awesome.

My point is, does it really? Are these things 'awesome'. Are they as the definition of the word awesome states, “extremely impressive, daunting or inspires awe” In a word, no they are not, but I did find something that was.

It was the fifth week of my two-month trip across the United States. After taking in all I thought my brain could cope with (the glitz of LA, the laid-back nature of San Francisco, the beauty of Yosemite and the sheer madness of Las Vegas) I thought I had quenched my thirst for adventure, I was wrong I had yet to visit the Grand Canyon.

After arriving late the night before, my first glimpse of the Canyon was almost by accident.

My friend and I dozily stumbled towards to the visitor centre, heads down, hands in pockets not fully appreciating what we were about it see. All of a sudden the trees lining the edge of the road broke and then I saw it.

This was awesome, a canyon that is over 270 miles long. Imagine a giant hole in the ground from Manchester to London. It's hard but such a place exists just outside Williams, Arizona.

After a solid hour I removed my jaw from the ground and headed in my rental car east along to various stops along the edge of the Canyon.

The most amazing experience I found was to leave your car in one of the many viewpoint car parks, then instead of following the crowds along the paths, you can simply hop over a wall and walk right up to edge and can even dangle your feet over the precipice

I suggest walking away from the car parks along the edge of the canyon for only five or ten minutes and very quickly you will find yourself in awe, sheer awe.

An uninterrupted view at the most incredible sight your eyes may ever gaze upon. A portable BBQ and a few beers may also add to the experience!

I just hope like me you realise not everything in life is awesome. Not everything can be extremely impressive, daunting or inspires awe. However, The Grand Canyon is the exception.

Tags: 2015 Writing Scholarship

About thegrandcanyon


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.