Existing Member?

Never Trust Thomas Cook Travel Guides I almost always get lost, but that's the great thing as you finally get found.

Georgetown on my mind

USA | Tuesday, 2 June 2015 | Views [373]

Like with the holiday to Tuscany when we went to South Carolina last year mainly because we really like Nicholas Sparks novels that are set in the Carolina's and after the in land villages of Tuscany we had to do the beaches for my sister that loves sun, sea and sand. 

So we found this hotel in Pawley's Island that looked like a perfect base and we weren't going to be in Myrtle Beach, but not so far away that we couldn't get there, the same could be said for Georgetown that we had to see; as it is the perfect little Historic Town.

We hired bikes and rode around everywhere.

When we set out to Georgetown it was sunny and perfect, we rode the 15 miles straight down Highway 17 and even took the bridge over the Waccamaw River and Great Pee Dee River, which is so very high to be cycling up on a beach crusier!

So we made it to the main historic centre and it seemed to empty, it was so sad. We were the youngest people in the town willingly.

We walked along the boardwalk and ducked in and out of shops, but there was a whole section of the water front missing. We stepped in to the cutest little General store called "Tucks" and the owner told us that he had only opened it earlier that week and that he hadn't seen many people in the store. He then told us that the main section of the main street on the waterfront burnt down two months before we arrived in a linseed oil fire from one of the restaurants and that the town council couldn't get funding to build the shops in the same way.

We were sad, that it was a little bit of a wasted journey, but we felt good that we had cycled again. When we headed back to the hotel we stopped off at the plantation called Hobcaw Barony where Tash broke her flip flop, like snapped it right in two so she had to cycle barefoot like me. 

The most amusing part of the day was when we were half way to the hotel and the road in front of us was grey. I called up to Tash asking if she thought it was rain and she laughed saying no it couldn't be so we carried on cycling in to it and wham we were hit with instant skin soaking rain.

We had to cycle over seven miles in this rain getting peeped at as we cycled down the highway, not that we were on the road. We went between cycling with our eyes closed, to cycling with our sunflasses on hoping that the rain would run off, to constantly wiping the rain out the way. When the rain eventually stopped we were outside out of KFC and we were starving, but as I wrung out the water from my playsuit we decided that maybe that would not be a good idea.

When we got back to the hotel we were frazzled, but no longer wet since as soon as the rain stopped the Carolina heat came out to play.

Once again we eneded up soaked to the bone, but laughing about it later.

Georgetown

Tags: cycling, rain, south carolina, trekking, weather

 

About thegirlinthedocs


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.