Existing Member?

Steping out of the mainstream

In the lands of Heidi

SWITZERLAND | Thursday, 15 May 2014 | Views [144] | Scholarship Entry

Ever since i recall,i have dreamt about visiting the most peculiar places on Earth.So,the question"how did i end up here?"has resound in my head every time i take a sigh,open my eyes and find myself in a whole new world,feeling like i´ve opened my eyes for the first time.Just like the first time i went skiing.I got this little pamphlet at a hostel in Bruges of a hostel in Switzerland which was very close to a skii area and the prizes were very accurate for a student´s budget.So i took off guided only by this pamphlet which had very few directions.The place is called Gryon, which is located in the Lake Geneva region in southwest Switzerland.When we arrived at the train station in Gryon i thought we were lost.It seemed like we were in the middle of nowhere. It was such a tinny village with only a few houses around, meaning 3 to 5 houses that i could see from the station. Also,the weather didn´t seem to be cold enough for skiing. The sun was shining bright,the temperature was about 20 degrees celsius,the grass and trees were green and there was no signs of snow anywhere.I was even wearing a t-shirt and starting to had the feeling that i was at the wrong place,or maybe the snow already melted.With some difficulty,the person at the train station gave us some directions to get to the hostel. We took an old trolley that went all the way up the mountain.As we were ascending, we could see a huge set of white great mountains right in front of us.It was such an odd scenery. It was like two different worlds at the same spot,one green mountain with flowers blooming and its sister mountain covered by this immaculate white blanket,one of those marvels that nature give us.A lot of miles above, the trolley dropped us right across the hostel.It was a nice swiss chalet with a homy atmosphere.Next day, we headed to the skii center.Don´t know how i ended up doing snowboarding, my two guy friends convinced me,even though i´ve never even skied before.It was a great experience to learn something so new to me.We started at the small hill for the first two days,but by the third day my friends,which already mastered the snowboard,wanted to go up hill to the second level.So i follow them.The view of the white mountains on our way up was espectacular,but the thrill of looking downhill and see this huge slide of snow,waiting to be ridden was breathtaking.I never thought i could be so amazed by this fascinating, almost unrealistic landscapes.

Tags: 2014 Travel Writing Scholarship - Euro Roadtrip

About thedream


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Switzerland

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.