Existing Member?

The Bare Handed

My Scholarship entry - Seeing the world through other eyes

WORLDWIDE | Monday, 16 April 2012 | Views [286] | Scholarship Entry

Speaking of food, one cannot be separated from the activity of eating itself. While the food reflected the origin and the diffusion of the ingredients as well as the idea of how each country or people connected to each other, the way of eating revealed another thing. There are certain moral inherited in the way of people eat their meal beyond the habit.
I remembered when my German friend said “my mom would be furious if she saw me eating with my hand”. Even when the first time she saw me eating my full meal bare-handed, she looked at me, bewildered, until she tried it herself. Not only because it is not something that commonly happened, but also because she came from a wealthy family where table manner comes to a daily basis. Something so ordinary for me can be overwhelming to other.
Whether the way of people eats influenced the food, or the food itself influenced the way of people eat, either way both are strongly related. For places with bare handed eaters, the food is diverse. From the big bone meat like ribs, lamb and chicken that best eat with hand to the small chopped meat and rice that is also easy to eat by hand.
For the Arab, at the time of the Prophet, who also use his three fingers of his right hand to eat meal is for the purpose of eating proportionally, not to have too much food. Eating with your hand is also the best way to measure the food temperature and texture of the food. Your hand, as long as you wash it before eating, is actually cleaner than any eating utensils available as for the fact that your hand is only used by you and you only, and you wash it by yourself so you can actually measure how clean you want to go with it. For most countries where this habit prevails, is also to bind the brotherhood among each other. When a group of people sitting together and eating bare handed, it seems like everyone is equal.

Tags: Travel Writing Scholarship 2012

About thedailywords


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Worldwide

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.