Existing Member?

Healing Through Travel

Creating Healing Ties Through Travel

USA | Friday, 1 May 2015 | Views [73] | Scholarship Entry

One of the fastest growing market segments of the tourism industry over the last two decades is made up of travelers who are 55 years of age and older. As the baby boomers continue to age, there are estimates that there will be over 50 million of “mature adults” will find themselves on the edge of retirement, equipped with the freedom and financial means to travel, but restricted by a loved one who may is ill or disabled. However, with an aging population comes different challenges and different care plans which includes the ability to travel and enjoy life to its fullest .
Caregivers and their Caree’s (Caree is a term used in the caregiving community to signify a person who needs a care provider) have few opportunities to escape their numbing daily routines. Traveling together may seem out of the question, but the fact is that cruises offer the perfect escape. Recently, I had the opportunity to tour the Royal Princes Cruise Ship while docked at the port in Fort Lauderdale. Just a little more than a year past its maiden sailing, the Royal Princess shined like it was just dispatched from the dry docks. As soon as I entered this beautiful ship, I gazed at the stunning Atrium which I has seen only from Princes Cruises marketing material. I was no longer a doubter, seeing was believing. The Atrium, with its 4 gorgeous spiral staircases, while impressive in Princess marketing material, was simply breath taking in person. Immediately I knew why Travel Weekly awarded the Royal Princess as Best Atrium Design.
After my partner Richard was diagnosed with cancer in 2011, one of the things that we wanted to do was go on a cruise. Our motto after his cancer diagnosis was, “we might have cancer, but cancer does not have us!” We continued on with that motto for years, yet along the way, we learned quite a bit about traveling with people who have health concerns and special needs in order to make travel comfortable. As I watched the travelers board the cruise ship, I marveled at the passengers who were using walkers, riding on electric carts, along with those who were dragging their portable oxygen tank behind them. Watching these passengers board the ship was more satisfying than touring the beautiful atrium because I was reminded how important socialization is for everyone who is involved in the Caregiving process.

Tags: 2015 Writing Scholarship

About thebowtieguy


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.