Existing Member?

My Indonesia

My Travel Writing Scholarship 2011 entry - My Big Adventure

WORLDWIDE | Monday, 21 March 2011 | Views [120] | Scholarship Entry

It was three years ago when i stepped out of my house in Java by myself. I intended myself to visit the god's island in the east of Java island that they also call it as Indonesian Hawaii, thousand-temples island or the island of god, Bali. i was very lucky to have chance to visit Bali. i went across to Bali used the boat for about an hour. Soon when i reached Bali i went directly to Kuta beach and ohh my god i was dazzled when i starred at the beach at the sunset, the blue crystal water with the reflection of the sun in the sky was very beautiful and the wind blew softly and the white sands felt like gave a massage made me feel relax and forgot all the under-pressure feeling that i had. while enjoy the perfect sunset view we could also take a bottle of small bintang (the brand of the beer) and enjoy all of them at the same time. we could also get a massage service at the beach or temporary tattoo or braiding our hair with the cheap price but maximum result. now there's time for me to get dinner, there was some hotels around the beach and also restaurants but i wasn't interested to have dinner there so i walked for far enough way and then i found small cafe and they provide beef soup and i tried and it was delicious and i liked it. the next day, i spent it in Bedugul, the cold area in Bali, because it located in plateau. in Bedugul i went to the hotspring where the water's purely from the mountain and containing sulfur, i enjoyed my time there as they said it's good enough for health so i tried to enjoy it although it was very hot. In Bedugul we could also go to the strawberry garden and take as much as we want. we could do out bound or take a motorboat at the lake. the funny thing that i never felt before was when i bought a bowl of meatball soup, it was supposed to be hot, as it was cooked well, but less than 2 minutes as they served the meatball soup, it got cold very quickly, so whenever you go to Bedugul and planning to have coffee or soup, you better finish it quickly or they're gonna get cold.
in bali they have one day called NYEPI, that's the day when we are not allowed to use electronics, make noisy, or cook, there's no light no sound at all and i was lucky that i spent 1 day nyepi in bali. at nyepi you are not allowed to walk out of the house which means everybody must stay inside of the house, there's no transportation, no activity, even the airport's closed, the harbour, the bus station, the mall, hotel, everything is closed.
one day before nyepi, you must prepare everything especially food that you can eat for the next day.
you can cook, but just don't let any balinese catch you cooking ;)
so cook carefully.
at night of nyepi, it's very dark, feels like the dark lord will come, because we are not allowed to have light at all, so can you imagine, in this small island, no one lives with light and very quiet, very calm, until you can hear 10 meters away of the water in the river. you can hear and feel the nature, the wind, the bautiful moon you can see from inside your house, the stars, and you can hear
the sounds of the bird, it's wonderful.
the beautiful bali, the unique culture of indonesia

Tags: #2011Writing, Travel Writing Scholarship 2011

About thebeautifulbali


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Worldwide

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.