Existing Member?

The Misadventures Of Seinor Malo Just little tid-bits of good places, good food and good adventres.

Cozy cool

ECUADOR | Thursday, 8 February 2007 | Views [561]

A well rested hello to all of you nomads.  With the cooler temps and drier air of the mountains I was able to sleep very well.  I just pulled up the blankets and was out like a light.  Being half buzzed didn't have much to do with that.  We all arose fairly early to get a quick morning breakfast before horseback riding.  Several of us saddled up for an hour ride around the ranch and by the local farms.  Harvey was off at full speed from the get go.  My horse was the laziest horse of the whole lot.  It would get halfway up a hill and have to stop to take a break.  Peit was off at full speed against his will a number of times.  If his horse wasn't off at a full run it was at full stop eating at just about every bush it came to.  At one point all you could hear coming up behind you was the patter of Peit's horse and the screams of fear from Peit trying to get the horse to stop.  Good luck Peit.  After horseback riding Peit, Mod, Sam, Ena, Liz, Stein and I were off in a pickup truck to go visit the local ruins.  The guide spoke English quite well and taught us about the local plants and the common uses for them.  He even showed us a plant that the berries if squeezed the juice makes a really good sunscreen.  Other plant for curing colds and headaches among other things.  The ruins being quite old and a historical treasure had to be covered in dirt in order to protect them from the elements.  They were all covered in dirt except where a roof structure had been erected to allow you to see some places where excavations had been done and other places to show the structure.  It's not the Pyramids of Egypt but interesting non the less.  We learned some more local history and the possibly history and use of the ruins.  It is believed they were used as a solar and lunar calendar for the harvest and planting times.  After the tour was over the guide asked us if we would like to see the llamas that lived there.  We all said "yes".  So he let's out a few little whistles.  Low and behold the entire herd of llamas comes a running.  All of the llamas not just a few of them.  There was even a sheep whom apparently thought he was a llama came running along with the group.  As we got to where the museum was all of the llamas were waiting for us.  The guide got out a bucket of powdered salt for us to give to the llamas.  We all had so much fun being surrounded by the llamas.  Most all of them would allow you to pet them.  As the salt treats were running out we were treated to a llama orgies.  In all the excitement  a few decided to get their groove on.  What a laugh. 

After the truck ride back to the hacienda I managed to sneak an other ride on the horses with Pia.  I was given the same horse Peit was on earlier.  I don't think this horse ever stops eating.  We would be walking down the center of the trail and as a bush approached the horse would slowly edge over towards it.  Just as the horse was about to grab some grub I was there with the reigns to pull it's head away.  Finally after about 20 minutes of this the horse got the picture.  And finally we could go uninterrupted.  After and hour we found our selves back at the hacienda for a little R&R.  A visit to the pool was very welcome.  Of course not a hammock left.  The sleeping beauty syndrome has stuck again.  And as usual I am a dollars short and a day late.  So no hammock for me.  With dinner time finally here I couldn't wait for the Cuy.  Of course Pia had to sit right next to me to watch me Cuy.  The beauty of growing up with sisters is you know all the tricks for grossing someone out.  Of course I had to such the head and try to offer a piece of Cuy to Pia.  She politely declined and was totally fine with what I was eating.  Until.  I could resist no longer.  I took the head and pointed at Pia.  With a lovingly funny voice I said, "Please eat me Pia.  Eat me.  I am delicious."  It was at that point she lost it.  She had to get up and sit at the other end of the table because she was way too grossed out to sit near the Guinea pig.  For those of you whom have never tried Cuy it is very much like duck in flavor just a lot smaller in size.  You have to try it as soon as you get the chance.  You love it.  After a few hours and a few more cocktails in the lounge it was time for bed.  As for me I am bushed I have to crash so see you tomorrow.

Tags: Relaxation

About thebauerguy


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Ecuador

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.