Existing Member?

Life happening to Me Live Life Lovingly Listen

Baja South

MEXICO | Monday, 21 September 2009 | Views [4431]

Day 5: The Beach

A few Km south of Mulege there are a string of beaches that are just beautiful.  I stopped at one of them that had a few cabins built in front of the cove.  The sea temperature was that of a hot tub - close to body temperature!  Its a cove withing a body of water sheltered by a 100km long peninsula.  This was a perfect setting to try making a Gin & Tonic with the last bottle of gin that was painstakingly but carefully brought back all the way from Mallorca.  I have to say, it is worth it!  HIT ME AGAIN!  Yeah....!   I set up the tent only a couple of meters from the high water line, taking for guidance the edge of the pre-existing cabins.  There is nothing better than the sound of small wavelets comforting me through the night.  So it was.  As the sea here is very protected, the waves a very tame, especially at night when there is no wind.  Oh and I was in for another piece of paradise.  The water here is bio luminescent!   That made for a magical swim - I felt like tinkerbell fluttering around and shedding glowing fairy dust everywhere I glided...

Day 6:  Drive-on to and through La Paz

I decided to keep moving south fast - despite many tempting beach turn-offs!  I arrived in La Paz at sunset.  The sunsets by the way are starting to become increasingly amazing, and I'm not even on the Pacific side yet!  La Paz is a fairly big city.  This is where I will be catching the ferry from in a few days.  I was not ready to be in a big city so drove on to a little beach 1 hour outside La Paz called La Ventana.  Famed for its high winds come October/November and attracts windsurfers and kitesurfers alike for some adrenaline boosted fun and speed.  One camper David, arrived yesterday - he's setup up for the whole season (thats 6 months!).  Some people really know what they like!  Today was my first day of doing nothing.  I setup up my hammock between two trees, had a nap, wrote, read and started looking at mainland Mexico destinations ahead.

Day 7:  Still la Ventana?

I'm still here in the same spot.  I guess I'm slowing down after all this driving over the last few days.  I' debating whether to go to Cabo or not.  I'll be visiting my fair share of large tourist towns over the next couple of weeks (Mazatlan, Ixtapa, Acapulco, Puerto Vallarta), so don't really need to see it. I'll let you know what happened in the next blog.....if I don't get stung to death by Jellyfish that is, as there are lots around.  Thats why I've not been too keen to go swimming the last couple of days.  I'd rather be hanging around the Cardon Cacti, at least I can see those coming!

About thebagelbarn


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Mexico

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.