Existing Member?

“Not all those who wander are lost.”

You got to get it while you can.

CANADA | Wednesday, 27 January 2010 | Views [224]

I was meant to be moving back to Australia on the 25th of April. My one way flight was booked and payed for, I even told all my family and friends that I was returning and they were definitely get excited about me being home. I informed my work of my plan and they said they have a replacement ready for my position so it was all cool for me to leave. I started a countdown and found it hard to sleep each night because I was excited in the same way a little kid is while waiting for Christmas morning to come. So why did I cancel my ticket yesterday? Why did I decide not to go home even if I was so happy to the day before? Well...

I was trying to get to sleep on Friday night and I was all restless(and Drunk), so I got up and went to lay on the couch. I put some Janis Joplin on my record player and I started to relax a bit. In this relaxed/drunk stage I started to think about my return but instead of me being happy to go back and live in Brisbane I started to feel claustrophobic about the situation. It was almost like I was in a relationship which was about to got to the next level and I was having major commitment issues! My thoughts only got worse and worse, I did not want to go back home, start school, find a job, get into a relationship and be 'normal'. Brisbane is definitely a city for 'Normal' people which I am not saying as a negative, it is just that I am not - never have - nor never will be 'Normal'.

Well, if I was not going to move home what would I do?? Within 5 seconds of asking myself this question the answer came to me... Move to Sweden!! Yeah, I know this seems random but it totally made 100% sense to me in my relaxed/drunken state. My beautiful friend Maria is a Swede and she is moving back home after many years of being in Australia. I have not seen her in around 3 years so why not move to Stockholm so we can hang out and while I can see Europe at the same time! PERFECT IDEA! I jumped on to Facebook and sent her a message to see what she though, She replied in the morning which was basically a big "Yes!". So it was done, I rang Orbitz about my ticket and they told me I can get a refund if I pay $200. I rang my Mother to tell her I was not coming home, she was sad but still very happy for me. Told my work I was now staying to June which works perfect with them too. My friends were a little bit upset but they also knew that this is a way better thing for me to be doing.

Wow, I can't believe I will be living in Sweden. Well actually I can because my life is random like that! I now have 5 months left in Vancouver and I plan to spend it doing all the things I have yet to do, which is a lot because I have been more focused on work and partying than actually doing the 'touristy things'. Well I guess I better be off doing some!! 

- Nathan

About theaussieroamer


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Canada

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.