Existing Member?

Face of Asia

My Scholarship entry - A local encounter that changed my life

WORLDWIDE | Thursday, 12 April 2012 | Views [171] | Scholarship Entry

My story is highly exciting as I belong to the west part (Shangla) of Pakistan and, I started my career in 2008 as Veterinary Officer (VO) in one of the rural area of Punjab, Pakistan. After getting bachelor degree my wish was to continue further studies but poor economical status and focusing on my sibling’s education I decided to work for the time being. After giving an interview I was being selected as VO in a private organization PRSP-PMSIL (Punjab Rural Support Program- Prime Minister Special Initiative for Livestock) with placement letter at duty station Mandi Bahauddin District. PMSIL was a part of PRSP and its main objective was bringing improvement in the lives of rural communities through uplifting livestock in terms of their production and population. The head office of the organization was located in Lahore which was controlling all the regional and district offices (n=55) throughout the province. I used to go for attending fortnightly and monthly meetings with the Project Director (Dr Sanaullah Bhatti) and District Livestock Officer (Dr Wasand Jee). During my 2 yr stay I learnt nothing except corruption. In PMSIL, all the time I made fake reports which compelled me to escape from the situation, where corruption is prevailing everywhere. There was no field activities, no proper diagnosis and treatment of the sick animals due to unavailability of the equipment and medicine. Finally, I did apply online to the Uni of New England Armidale, Australia for postgraduate master degree in poultry and got an offer letter. I got visa and on 14 July, 2010 came to Australia where I am studying research degree in the poultry. My 2 supervisors are both extra ordinary and I have no appropriate words that fully convey the sense of immense indebtedness and deep gratitude that I owe to my supervisors. In Australia, I learnt a lot within a short period of time but the main thing which I learnt is sincerity and honest in the work in addition to respect for the human being.

Tags: Travel Writing Scholarship 2012

About theasiannation


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Worldwide

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.