Existing Member?

Budapest: The Emerging City!

Budapest: The Emerging City!

HUNGARY | Wednesday, 14 May 2014 | Views [309] | Scholarship Entry

I’ll never forget the day I stepped off that plane. 42°c. A temperature that this Welshman has never had the opportunity to experience before. Welcome to Eastern Europe. Welcome to Hungary.

Budapest; a city rich in history and culture, was my starting place. Taking the tramline 2 down the bank of the Danube, it became apparent that this was the country for me. Travelling past the magnificent gothic revival styled Parliament building, which also happens to be the third largest in Europe, I was in awe of the city’s architecture.

The journey continued into the city’s world-famous Jewish district. Taking a tour of the Synagogue, this was not just a visit, but an education all in one. This multicultural city plays host to a wide variety of cultures, of which I wanted to expose myself to as many as possible. The synagogue was the beginning.

Ending the night in the ruin pubs was the perfect way to wind down, meet a whole bunch of new people, and come to terms with my first day in Hungary.

The following day began with the heart-pumping climb up the Gellért Hill to see the Statue of Liberty. What was I putting myself through? Exercise was not my forte. Or at least, I didn’t think it was. Once at the top, I realised the climb had been worth it. The views; unbelievable. A panorama of the entire city. Being the typical tourist, the camera came out. I had to boast to family and friends somehow, and the pictures were the evidence.

My time in Budapest was coming to an end; but my time in Hungary was only just beginning. From the Capital, I set-off south to the Lake Balaton (the largest lake in Central Europe). Conveniently, I arrived here in August, perfect timing for the Hungarian national holiday, which they celebrate with a wine festival in the town of Balatonboglár. It just so happened that my bus was taking me here. I wasn’t complaining. Cheap wine!

The details of that night have become somewhat blurred in my mind, but the photos show that I had a great time. My whistle-stop tour of the Balaton concluded, just in time for me to head further south, to the town of Kaposvár.

This would be my home for the next 12 months. The rest, well, I could talk for days about that. But what I can say is that; the history of the country, although not all positive, is what shaped it into what it is today; an outstanding masterpiece.

Tags: 2014 Travel Writing Scholarship - Euro Roadtrip

About the_travelling_welshman


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Hungary

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.