Existing Member?

The Koetsy Capers

Where Are All The Poms?

UNITED KINGDOM | Tuesday, 26 August 2008 | Views [438] | Comments [4]

A midnight takeoff for the trip of a lifetime is not to be recommended.  Nobody slept between Melbourne & Singapore and when we arrived there were three very tired souls.

After some family disputes that centered around whether we could leave the airport or not (which related entirely to interpreting the accent of the Singaporean airport staff, which Grumps did and the ladies did not)and safely gain access back again to catch our flight, we had the pleasure of seeing Murray & Eily Treseder for about an hour.

After a three hour rest, it was off to London, a journey of some 13 hours. Allow me to tell you that the blonde is not a good long haul traveller......

We met Jac Faz at Heathrow, whereupon the girls took it upon themselves to indulge in a tearful reunion. For Gloria and I it was an hours wait for the bus to take us to our hotel

Arrived in London proper, and we made the hotel, after which we had a quick pub meal and crashed in bed for the night.

The observation made from 3 hours in an English pub is that -

a) They sell Fosters

b) There are no Poms in an English pub - they are all Australians in the majority with a sprinkling of other nationalities. The bar staff were Spanish, I think.

Even in the streets, all you do manage to hear is foreign accents - it's quite unsettling to only hear the occasional English voice. At least the bus drivers were Poms, even if they were of African descent......

Interestingly, this was the situation in every pub we visited, although the pub in which we ate last night did have a cockney couple there for about half an hour! The owner of the pub was a Kiwi, with whom we had a very interesting conversation about remarkable subjects such as Welsh lamb.

We did manage to walk a large portion of London on Monday,checking out the usual tourist sites such as Big Ben, Parliament House, the London Eye, Buckingham Palace, Westminster Abbey, Trafalgar Square and Picadilly Circus. We think we may have walked around 20 kilometers in the round trip from our hotel near Euston Station. We took a hop on hop off bus tour with Chelsea yesterday, visiting the sites we did not see the day before, such as Tower Bridge, Tower of London and St Pauls Cathedral.

Just as I type this, ANOTHER Police car has travelled past, its siren blaring - it seems to be a bit of a hobby for Police over here. The most common vehicle is a double decker red bus !

Anyway, we have to go and catch the train to Paris.

Enjoy work, won't you.....

 

Comments

1

Well, its about time you put up a message, I was getting worried. Sounds like you spent a lot of time on a pub crawl - you are supposed to do touristy stuff not just see the inside of pubs! Have your knuckles returned to their pink colour yet? Did they have to peel you out of the seat?

See you in Rome, Pedro. Keep the messages coming.

  Jayne Mark Aug 27, 2008 9:15 PM

2

Gee thanks for letting us know your blog address - not! Found it anyway!!! You survived flying, now you know why we went to Canada 1st class. We flew to Townsville, 3 hour flight SYD - TSV, in the tightest can of sardines I have ever been in. We had to flatten ourselves against the back of the seat, to put down our minuscule tray table!!(big boobs not being a plus I can tell you). We could barely stand up when we got there, from cramp. Thank goodness the flights home were normal. Love to you all

  Gladys Aug 30, 2008 2:15 PM

3

What a surprise to stumble across this blog! Looking forward to more postings... at least you have the right of reply on your own blog, to defend your status as the grumpiest man in the world. That lovely smiling Paris pic belies that claim. Cheers.

  Jenny Sep 5, 2008 11:22 AM

4

I've heard that about English pubs before. Maybe because heaps of uni friends went and worked in them at odd times.

Did you feel like you were in an episode of The Bill with all the police cars everywhere?

  Sally Sep 11, 2008 5:35 PM

About the_koetsys


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.