Existing Member?

The Koetsy Capers

The south west of Ireland

IRELAND | Thursday, 15 June 2017 | Views [496]

We were disappointed in Dublin but rural Ireland is altogether different.

 We travelled to Cashel to have a look at the Rock of Cashel which is actually an ancient church which looks like a castle. We were fortunate enough to join a group that was being given a guided tour. This was a stroke of luck because we were given quite an education in Irish history we were not expecring.  It was also our first exposure to rural Irishmen which was quite a pleasant experience.

From there we travelled to Tipperary to have a look at a town made famous by a song. Whilst the town is pleasant enough, the countryside driving to Tipperary and then on to Cork is picture postcard perfect. Impossibly green rolling hills and hedgerows everywhere. Just as we imagined Ireland would be like.

The next day started by travelling to Blarney Castle so that Gloria could give a piece of stone a kiss. I passed up on the opportunity given the numbers of other people also kissing the same stone. Gloria has not come down with anything. Yet.

The rest of the day was spent driving along the coast, checking out the Ring of Kerry and the Dingle Peninsula. Both drives reminded me of Scotland with the hills meeting the wild ocean. Quite scenic. The following day was spent looking around Limerick and joining the thousands of tourists at the Cliffs of Mother, a smaller version of the cliffs found along the Great Australian Bight.

Certainly the Ring of Kerry and the Dingle Peninsula was worth a look, but one has to be careful of the narrow roads clogged by very slow driving tourists. We saw a bit of risk taking by drivers frustrated by the slow ones, but the buses are a real hazard. We drove around one corner to find a bus occupying most of our side of the road. Those who say that your life flashes before your eyes when you think your time is up are lying. How we missed the bus is a mystery, l doubt if there was a cigarette paper between the side mirror and the bus. The problem was that there was nowhere to go because there was a stone wall on the left, so it was either a stone wall or a bus. Somehow we missed both.......

All expletives were removed in writing this story, but you can imagine my language.

 

About the_koetsys


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Ireland

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.