Existing Member?

The Koetsy Capers

Isle of Skye

UNITED KINGDOM | Sunday, 4 June 2017 | Views [321]

I would have liked to have titled this story "Blue Blue Skye" but given the brooding dark clouds and bursts of rain, it didn't seem quite right.

Allow me to tell you that this place is breathtakingly beautiful.

Unfortunately, it seems that the rest of the universe has discovered that too. The numbers of people driving and walking around the Isle had to be seen to be believed. We only found respite from the crowds when we made our way up to the far north of the island.

My first stop was at the whisky distillery of Talisker. At ten pounds to tour the distillery, coupled with bottles of whisky with a price tag substantially higher than back at home, l decided that there were better things to see and do. While l'm writing about whisky, l was quite disappointed with the pricing of bottles in Scotland and the cost of a small tot in a pub generally runs at £4 or around $8. I'm better off to have my tastings at home. I suspect that the pricing has quite a deal to do with the tourist season, but l might be wrong.

 Anyway, back to singing the praises of the Isle of Skye.

The 'mountains' are really hills of around 500 to 950 feet. However they rise quite steeply and are very rugged and they certainly tower over you. They have an indescribable beauty of their own and, as we discovered, photos do them no justice at all.

Lunch was taken at the Stein Inn, located at the north end of the Isle. Apparently the building dates back to around 1790 and some of the building does look quite old. It is reputed to be the oldest pub on Skye and consequently we just had to go and visit.

We attempted to walk around Portree which is the largest town on Skye, but the rain eventually defeated us. That was a pity because what we saw from the car really impressed us.

Other than the towering and bald hills, the other thing that impressed us was the greeness of the place and the flowering shrubs of purple and pink flowers. Not sure what they were, but we will find out.

If you ever get the chance, visit Skye. You will not regret it......

About the_koetsys


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.