Existing Member?

Carl and Beccy Haines Carl and Beccy Haines are off for a whole year to travel the world!

Surfin' and Cruisin' and Lighthouses....

AUSTRALIA | Tuesday, 4 March 2008 | Views [399]

Hey all,

We're currently in Byron Bay, one of the biggest surfing areas in Oz and tomorrow we're off for a surfing lesson!  It should prove to be most amusing!  It will no doubt be a competition to see who can stand up first so we'll let you know on our next blog!

After leaving Sydney on Monday we drove about 1 hour west to the Blue Mountains.  So called because of a bluish hue that they emit from the eucalyptus trees in the vast forests.  We found a campsite in Katooma at the centre of the area and stopped there for two nights.  We had two great walks in the area and saw the famous 'Three Sisters' rocks.  There is a myth that three sisters were being pursued by three unsuitable men and so a sorcerer put a spell on them and turned them to stone to warn the men off them, then the sorcerer died before they could be turned back into humans again... Basically just three large rocks but a great location nonetheless!  We also travelled on the World's Steepest Railway.

From the Blue Mountains we drove to the Hunter Valley - Wine Country.  Having already been on one wine tour we just decided to visit a cheese factory there and bought ourselves some yummy cheese and biscuits for tea.  Oh and of course a couple of bottles of red!

From the Hunter Valley we drove along the coast towards Nelson's Bay, a pretty spot in Port Stephens.  I have forgotten to mention that since our last night in the Blue Mountains the heavens had opened and so we did lots of driving in the rain and lots of sitting in the van in campsites at night because when the sun shines Australia is a great outdoors country.  However when it rains there's very little to do!

We drove through Port Macquarie on our way to our next stop and saw the oldest lighthouse in Australia.  However we think we've already seen 'the oldest lighthouse' in WA so most confusing!!

After Port Macquarie we drove to a place called South West Rocks and saw another lighthouse.. So many of them!  The following day we stopped in Red Rock, a very small village with some beautiful coast and inlets.

Yesterday (Mon) we drove from there to Byron Bay where we spent the day chilling out.  Today we went to the beach because the sun has finally come out again!

We'll keep you posted on our surfing exploits.  I hope there are no surfing scouts out there because I'm sure Carl will get snapped up in no time!

Love to you all,

B and C x  (p.s Carl does still live, he just can't type so I always write this blog!)

Tags: Adventures

About the-haines-rtw


Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.