Existing Member?

Curiosity Hasn't Killed Me Yet

4 Freshman, 1 Zipcar, Less than 1/2 of a Plan

USA | Wednesday, 27 May 2015 | Views [86] | Scholarship Entry

The Spring Break of your freshman year of college is the break that everyone talks about- it has been hyped up to you since the moment you started thinking about what life was like after high school. While my friends were living the dream in Cancun, I was living vicariously through their Snapchat stories and anxiously anticipating my big plans to see Shamu.

Needless to say, when a friend texted me about going on a trip up north, I was more than willing.

Two of my friends, myself, and a girl I had never met before that morning, hopped in a Zipcar at the ungodly hour of 7 a.m. and headed for northern Arizona. I was not really sure what I was in for; the most I'd heard about our sleeping arrangements had something to do with a teepee, and there really was no specific destination in mind.

But not being one to fuss, I grabbed a sleeping bag and went along for wherever this trip was going to take me.

Our road trip consisted of fighting the radio, stopping to eat at hole-in-the-wall diners, and trying to decide which whim to follow next.

We ended up deciding to hike down to Fossil Creek, which, let me tell ya, was an adventure within itself. I'll just say, we bit off a little more than we could chew in the distance department.

By the time we got back up to our car, we were all completely exhausted and ready to find our place of rest for the night. Unfortunately, in accordance with the apparent theme of our trip, this was not well thought out, and we had no idea where that was.

The teepee place? Would not even let us on the premises.

So there we were, four college freshman in the middle of nowhere around 10 p.m. with no place to stay.

We desperately huddle around outlets in a local Jack in the Box to charge our phones to find a place that would take us without a reservation so last minute (and so poor).

Finally, we booked a room "for two" *wink* at the Beaver Creek Inn (which is a real place, mind you).

The boys checked in at the front desk, then snuck us girls in around back. We showered off the day, and I fell asleep to Morgan Freeman's voice in "The Bucket List".

The next day was intended to be jam packed full of adventure- instead, we took a nap in Slide Rock National Park. It was a little ironic, sleeping when surrounded by such beauty, but the nap was exquisite- and desperately needed after the previous days escapades.

It's funny where a lack of a plan and an adventurous spirit will take you...I'd take my trip over Cancun any day.

Tags: 2015 Writing Scholarship

About thatjournalistjojo


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.