Existing Member?

Understanding other cultures

My Scholarship entry - Seeing the world through other eyes

WORLDWIDE | Saturday, 21 April 2012 | Views [123] | Scholarship Entry

“The blacks, Africans in particular, and their traditions were disgusting. I totally disagreed with the arts of their bodies painting. In some tribal groups, people hurt themselves so as to be looked beautiful.” It was my thought when I, for the first time, encountered Abalempa, a tribal group in South Africa, in my university assignment. Surprisingly, I learnt that in some parts of India, noble women are expected to bring a dowry to the marriage, which is completely different from my culture. Soon I realized each society, in fact, has their ways of life, which we cannot actually use our own yardstick to judge theirs.

What would you do if your baby cried continuously but not hungry? You would never know why a child is left alone in the jungle when she cried, and watched by her parents instead of providing her with a great care. To most Asian people, it is a stupid and cruel thing to do to leave a child alone in such an isolated place. She should be held, rocked back and forth or comforted gently until the crying stops. Nonetheless, the traditional Navaho Indians somehow believe that by doing such, she will be able to learn how to survive and fight against fear since the early age.

Therefore, providing that a person is fully enculturated to his or her own culture, he or she will not be able to see different corners of the world through what others think, feel and believe. Every society has its unique ways of living which might be viewed and judged as inferior by other eyes. As suggested by Margaret Mead, an American cultural anthropologist, cross-cultural study helps people place a high value on other tradition. The way Americans greet each other in public places, for example, might be considered as rude and disrespectful by some Japanese people. In contrast, some Americans may think the way Japanese people greet each other by bowing old and uncivilized. Therefore, the world is an endlessly exploring place if you are willing to take an adventure.

Tags: Travel Writing Scholarship 2012

About thaninjournal


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Worldwide

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.