Existing Member?

The self-taught filmmaker: Beauty in the everyday

Go Now

CANADA | Tuesday, 8 September 2015 | Views [287] | Scholarship Entry

I am a 23 year old South African living in Canada. I identify as an ethnically mixed transguy who is passionate about human connection and sharing stories. I first picked up a camera when I was just a kid, around 6 years old, and I have yet to put it down. Photography gave me a way to capture the moments of life that held so much meaning and story. It continues to amaze me how so many words can be conveyed in a single picture. Over the years I started to dabble with video and using it as a medium to tell stories. Recently I have started to vlog; as a continuous exercise to shift my perspective of daily adventure. Vlogging forced me to move away from 'setting up the scene' and towards realizing that I have to move myself to capture the scene of life.
I love travel. I have been to countries in Africa, Europe, Asia and North America. In all my travels I have always veered off the beaten path and forged my own. The best moments are those that aren't planned and to really see a country you have to immerse yourself. This means trying everything and respecting ways people live, eat and love.
Everything that I know about photography, film and post production is self-taught. I never had any formal training or mentor to guide my learning. This is my passion and I am constantly pushing myself to learn. I believe that being able to learn from Brian Rapsey would be an incredibly valuable experience. It would help me push myself as a filmmaker and storyteller unlike any other opportunity.

Tags: 2015 Film Scholarship to Colombia

About thanerobyn


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Canada

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.