Existing Member?

Hello...!

My Scholarship entry - Understanding a Culture through Food

WORLDWIDE | Monday, 23 April 2012 | Views [135] | Scholarship Entry

She washed the beans many many times... “They must be very, very clean” she said. “Look at them! They must be shiny white!”. Then she took the pot and filled it out with cold water. “Until the water boils, I must prepare the vegetables for my soup” said at herself. She was singing a greek song as long as she was cutting off in lillte pieces, carrots, onions, parsley.
When she heard the boiling water's sound she dropped the beans in the pot. After a few minutes she added the vegetables and later a little oil olive. At the end she added a little tomato juice and after that she made a cross above the pot.
“My soup will be ready in 45 minutes she said” and looking at me, explained that today is Wednesday, so she had to prepare a lenten food. “It is quite heavy food” but we like it a lot. “The recipe is given to me by my mom”, said, but in a mood of sadness added; “I' m trying to teach my recipes to my daughter, but she is not willing. She prefers cooking stranger foods...She is able to cook german snitzel even today despite of being a fasting day”
As she was describing the recipe, she used to interrupt the description in order to check out her cooking bean soup; “if it is boiling up to the right time, it will not be tasty”, noted.
When the soup got ready, she served firstly me. “You are our guest and I want you to be satisfied” said as she was placing the plate in front of me. “Cheers to you” said her husband, lifting his glass containing ouzo (local drink of grapes) and few minutes later I realized that it was forbidden for me to leave the table if I haven't eaten all my food...

Tags: Travel Writing Scholarship 2012

About thanasis


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Worldwide

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.