Existing Member?

The Good Wolf Manifesto Travels

The Simple Luxury of Sharing Bali

INDONESIA | Tuesday, 26 May 2015 | Views [475] | Scholarship Entry

Bali gets mixed reviews when you live in Australia. Common images of raucous teenagers partying until dawn did not strike me as an enjoyable location for my mid-winter break. I wanted somewhere bursting with life and culture that also radiated enough heat to thaw out.

Among the lush green hills in the centre of Bali lies Ubud. Somewhat famous from the film Eat Pray Love, where Julia Roberts stayed away from all-night raves and peddled her way to self-discovery through Ubud’s rice paddies.

Ubud opens the door to traditional Balinese life, bursting with slow-food organic eateries, yoga studios and local markets. However, stepping further north through the door to the small rural village of Singaprang, took me on a journey of simple luxury. Here I met Karen Willis, the power behind Sharing Bali, at Ayung Sari Indah.

Ayung Sari Indah loosely translates to “The beautiful sweet nectar of the Ayung”. The Ayung river runs through the ravine below Sharing Bali and is an inspiration for the oasis that Karen and Wayan have built over the years. Upon arrival, Karen greeted me with open arms, fresh lemongrass and ginger tea and I immediately felt like family.

Sharing Bali is made up of 8-bungalows each individually sourced from across Indonesia, restored then placed amongst the rice paddies and vibrant gardens. My bungalow became my sanctuary, complete with four-poster bed, outdoor bathroom, view across the rice paddies and an endless supply of hot tea.

There are no white walls, cocktails by the pool or wifi. The village life surrounding Ayung Sari Indah seeps through the stone walls to ensure every part of the experience is genuine. From flower petals laid out on every doorstep and fountain, to the handmade shower scrub to wash off volcanic dust after climbing Mt Batur, simple luxury runs through every detail of Sharing Bali.

Staying just two nights was enough to consider doing a Julia and continually peddling free amongst the rice paddies, trees and mountains to live a simpler life in northern Bali. If Julia can do it, then so can I. However, Sharing Bali allows you the time, space and peace to work out how to take that simple luxury home with you. It is the place I escape to on long, cold Melbourne winter days. It is a place I know that truly makes me feel alive.

Tags: 2015 Writing Scholarship

About tgwmanifestotravels


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Indonesia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.