Existing Member?

Getting Lost Will Help You Find Yourself, Travel Often

Same Same But Different

VIETNAM | Saturday, 10 May 2014 | Views [285] | Scholarship Entry

The Bus driver turned around from his front seat to give us a wide toothless smile and exclaimed, "Have a good time, now get out!" He had stopped by a sandy bank of the Thu Bon river and I was now stranded with my several travel mates waiting for god knows what.

Roughly 10 minutes later we heard the 'put put put' of a rickety fisherman's boat. This was to be our tour guide for the next few hours. A lovely Vietnamese local fisherman by the name of Vien (pronounced "Yin") proudly escorted us onto his fishing vessel for what was to be the best day of my trip. After 3 attempts to start his boat, we were off, meandering downstream on Thu Bon River.

Our destination was unknown but after bonding over a few beers, courtesy of Vien, we were all best friends and were more than happy to trust Vien's decision to stop on the shore line to enjoy what he said would be "the best sunset you will ever see".

"Sam"; Vien said, pointing to an Aussie bloke sitting next to me, "You Australian? Come help me set up the Barbie!” Vien whipped out a small portable barbeque and a large Esky filled with pre-prepared fish, prawns and kebabs. Another Esky provided us with refreshments, Beer. Next came a foldout table and milk crates to sit on.

While all this was happening, Vien passed me a beer and stated, "You... You are Fifty- Fifty, Same- same but different". An expression I had heard being said around Asia was now being used to point out my mixed heritage. Tears of laughter ran down my face, echoed by my travel companions.

It was with those words that we sat in silence and watched the sun set, along the shore of the Thu Bon River, Hoi An.

Tags: 2014 Travel Writing Scholarship - Euro Roadtrip

About tgw


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Vietnam

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.