Existing Member?

ECHOES OF THE SILK ROAD

ANOTHER BLACK MARK FOR AIR CANADA

CANADA | Friday, 2 August 2013 | Views [291]

Just a bit after 1400 when I left Mom, Dad and Tabu. It never gets any easier, all the more so with my mother crying as many tears as water is going over Niagara Falls.

Took an extra 15M to get to Park 'n Fly near Toronto Pearson. Traffic was heavy, especially at ramp locations along the 403. It did not help that this was the Friday at the start of a long weekend.

Not the only person going on vacation by the looks of how busy the Self Park lot of Park 'n Fly was. I parked at the point closest to downtown Toronto.

Check in was naturally quick in business class [flying on points to/from LHR]. Hey mister, you are already fat and ugly so you really don't have to show you are ignorant by standing in the passing lane of moving sidewalk.

Delays aside, I was in the Maple Leaf Lounge by 1610. Couldn't connect to wifi so used the local computers for a quick email home. Had a couple of rums and coke along with two helpings of nachos and black/green olives. The lounge was very busy. So many people were chowing down as if it was a Last Supper re-enactment. Many people can gain access to the lounge even though on an economy flight, a good number of them probably avoiding the high cost of food on AC domestic flights. A bit of the National Post and off to gate E73 by 1740.

AC first announced a gate change to E71, itself no big deal. Then we were told there were mechanical issues with the plane. We went from a 77L to a 777-300ER. A cloudburst at 1840 provided a diversion but also slowed things down: due to the presence of lightning, outside work on the alternate plane had to stop for a period.

The 1830 flight left at 2000, the 1.5H delay nixing the plans for a leisurely start of the day with a shower at the arrivals lounge. Things were so rushed the caterers were still loading the plane when I got on. My last trip began with an AC flight more than an hour late. Guess AC isn't in the running for airline of the year for 2013.

AC should really change it music options. The albums especially suck. I listened to the rock and easy listening Sirius stations for most of the trip. I think I heard Suspicious Minds a half dozen times, okay since it's on my top ten list of all time.

Opted for the salmon as the lightest entree. UK bound, I decided on a gin and tonic. Warmed almonds were a nice touch. Some puzzle time before the meal. The En Route magazine had nothing in it article-wise that interested me.

Dinner was average. The salmon portion was more large than tasty. Fatigue meant I struggled to finish a glass of chardonnay, Peta Baby. The cheese with the port was probably the best of the meal.

The AC business class seats are not very wide so sleep was compromised a bit. I probably got the better of two hours before the cabin felt hot, the throat was dry and the nose a bit plugged. Welcome to flying.

                                                                                                                                            

 

                                                                                             

Tags: on the road

About tertrav


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Canada

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.