Existing Member?

Terms of EnJejument

Terms of EnJejument

SOUTH KOREA | Tuesday, 8 September 2015 | Views [505] | Scholarship Entry

Terry grew up forty minutes north of Baltimore City, though you wouldn’t know it, from all the farms, pastures, and corn. His parents were horse trainers, and his brother loved to ride; Terry was the strange one who didn’t. The family pony once bucked him off during an excursion through the woods (its name was Tricky, Terry didn’t know what he expected). So, every Friday, his father would come back from the video store with a movie for him to watch.

Since there aren’t any script jobs in Baltimore, Terry took an ESL teaching job in Jeju, South Korea. Living on that small island changed his life. Not only did Terry make lifelong friends, he acquired so many traveling stories – watching a Korean adoptee find her birth parents, sharing drinks with Yakuza who could only shout their own names in English (“I am Pilsun!”, the man screamed), accidentally stumbling into a very serious cock fight in the Philippines, climbing Mount Fuji – the list goes on.

In 2014, Terry began Vancouver Film School’s Writing Program. He said his goodbyes, and flew directly from Korea. The courses were everything Terry could ask for, and some of his instructors have become friends. The wringer that the program put him through was unlike anything he’d experienced before, but it was the tight knit student community that kept him inspired. It wasn’t just Terry who was hungry, it was everyone; They pushed him to be the best writer he could be, and not settle for anything less in himself.

Tags: 2015 Film Scholarship to Colombia

About terryerickson


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about South Korea

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.