Existing Member?

WOOTWOOT - Adventures Are Fun “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” - Mark Twain

Kia Ora Aotearoa

NEW ZEALAND | Tuesday, 6 May 2008 | Views [658]


So after a chilled couple of days with Foster in Melbourne, hanging out and catching up with friends, I managed to make it onto the plane on Thursday afternoon without crying.

I lasted until the first 15 minutes of P.S. I Love You, so I turned it off and watched I Am Legend instead. Nothing cures the tearies like a good old fashioned viral zombie film.

Good flight. I was next to an old couple with no clue how to work the tv, so that got a bit repetative. AND she was a bit accident prone, managed to spill her wine and myriad other things on the 3.5 hour flight.

First couple of days with my Aunt Sue and her family, toured Hamilton. They have these awesome gardens with replicas of Japanese, Chinese, Italian Renaissance and Indian gardens. I didn't take any pictures really because I figure I'll get to see the real thing eventually. But truely a HUGE thing to have pulled off.

Also, HUGE DEAL...had my photo taken with the Riff Raff statue in Hamilton, home of The Rocky Horror Picture Show. I assume I was the only person out that day who was thrilled to see the statue as I hear that heaps of locals protested against its installation. Apparantly, no one was thrilled at the idea of a cross-dressing alien statue adorning their main street.

Caught up with bunches of family, then went to stay with Uncle Bruce and his bunch. We went to a beautiful coastal town called Raglan (Cat T, it would remind you of home :). I wanted to go crazy in the little art shops, but managed to limit myself to purchasing a couple of retro postcards and two little arty pieces. It was an amazing little town, all surfers and artists mostly. And the coast was pretty rugged. I was told that Australia was just across the water, but didn't have my extreme-binoculars with me so couldn't see it unfortunately.

I'm off to Tauranga in a day or so for more family visiting, where I think I'll get my cousins girlfriend to hook me up with some anti-jetlag tablets because I've seen Megs plans for me once I get to LA :P

Love to all.

Tags: hamilton, new zealand, raglan, riff raff, rocky horror

About terrid_b


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about New Zealand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.