Existing Member?

A journey starts inside you!

The quaint abduction

POLAND | Thursday, 15 May 2014 | Views [260] | Scholarship Entry

As darkness fell, all I could notice behind a pane of glass was the reflection of my slightly anxious face. I was standing still, trying to tie up bits and pieces of what she had told me, yet I didn’t have a clue where I could be heading for. With all its sterility and soulless space, the airport seemed to me an insentient, dreamlike creature, unlike some vibrant railway stations I had a pleasure to visit. Overwhelming, formidable steel construction was certainly an architectural masterpiece, the homage to human abilities, but it simultaneously reminded me of the might of nature and our attempts to harness its forces and subordinate them to our needs.
Not until I realised the humdrum sound of the floor polisher, had it appeared to me we were all alone, just me and she calling somebody. ‘What a mischief to be working at so late an hour’, I thought. The lack of motion on the driver’s face and his apathy only confirmed my notion. Somehow the atmosphere of this, no longer bustling place, must have extracted all the life which had resided inside him and deprived him of illusions. I wished we wouldn’t succumb to that cheerless ambience of the airport. Much to my relief, in comparison with hospital corridors, it was much better to await there.
The screen kept mercilessly silent and I knew I wouldn’t get to know the destination from her. Neatly planned. Even though I couldn’t complain – my anxiety resulted simply from the increasing curiosity. Where on earth could we fly with a few banknotes of unknown currency hidden in her handbag and some light clothes packed in a hurry the day before? One thing I knew for sure was that our hostel was full, as she had told me a while earlier, explaining the mistake in booking the accommodation and the flight dates. We could only think of staying at the airport or desperately try to find another one. My kidnapper was persistently seeking something in her jacket. Then, all of a sudden, the screen brightened and my excitement reached its peak. ‘Budapest’, written in large, white letters, indicated us the start of another tremendous adventure.

Tags: 2014 Travel Writing Scholarship - Euro Roadtrip

About terrible_fidget


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Poland

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.